Author Topic: A sad day for Harness Racing  (Read 4040 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dougie

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2651
A sad day for Harness Racing
« on: September 19, 2024, 12:12:02 PM »
When I was living in Canarsie, Brooklyn, my girlfriend, now my wife used to take the long drive down the Belt Parkway, over the Verrazano, over the Outer bridge, onto the NJ Turnpike, driving up Route 9 to Freehold Raceway. I was there for a packed house when Niatross "showed his stuff" in September, 1980. I loved the drive to that part of Jersey. Compared to Brooklyn, it was the "country". I remember betting "under the tents'", after an electrical fire destroyed the main building. The "re-build" was done in 1986. We moved to Florida. Most of my family moved to Jersey over the years and I planned our vacations from Florida when Freehold has live racing. Now living in Maine, we get down to see family and Freehold as much as we can. It's old, tired, and has very few folks attending the live races now. But we love standing at the rail watching the races. And now.....with today's news.....it's all over for Freehold. The sad ending to a long tradition of afternoon racing in central Jersey. I know many in this group will cheer this news. How sad I feel for you. Another track closed. Another sad day for harness racing.

hoosierboy

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 11875
Re: A sad day for Harness Racing
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2024, 01:41:38 PM »
Sad

makingit

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 460
Re: A sad day for Harness Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2024, 03:00:30 PM »
Very sad. I remember the good old days.

The Exporter

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 5817
Re: A sad day for Harness Racing
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2024, 03:14:13 PM »
Saturday's race card during the mid 1970's till the early 1980's was as good as any track in the nation. It was the track all the area "P" drivers raced until the Judge signed off on their "A" license.
It was the place, my friends and I would cut school and have an "afternoon delight".
 It was also the place where Herve fixed many races, including the trifecta in the last race, every day for years.

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Trigger: Mario J Baillargeon last race heavy favorite, drugged up and with a rocket jammed in his ass that pile of shit driver would struggle, from the 9 hole  ngc3  I bet Ratchford with the 1 beats the 9  ;D
    Today at 11:13:01 PM
  • Trigger: JMac another biggie, a $33k and a $24k on a night woith nearly $3mil in purses  ngc3 King James, who couldn't find Hoosier yesterday when OOMM needed him the most  ngc3
    Today at 10:40:57 PM
  • Trigger: Wherever BJ is bobble is nowhere to be found  ngc3 Canadians are so so so sensitive and sentimental  :-\
    Today at 10:33:49 PM
  • JT: I think that wasn't shenanigans..just a piss poor decision  ngc3
    Today at 10:33:22 PM
  • JT: Great battle upcoming in the breeders crown. Can't wait to witness it in person tmbz1..bucket list item..check ;D
    Today at 10:27:00 PM
  • Trigger: RRM 8)...although JMac fucked up my street with She's A Bulldog, last time that horse should see him...McNair pulling that stunt, no fucking around tonight, sure  ngc3
    Today at 10:26:10 PM
  • JT: The glamor division is down to 2 horses. RED and Brandon
    Today at 10:23:16 PM
  • JT: Beau Jangles went off the favorite ngc3
    Today at 10:15:33 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal