Author Topic: Who is William Rhoades bearding for?  (Read 52350 times)

Winners Win

• Stakes Horse
Re: Who is William Rhoades bearding for?
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2018, 10:04:03 AM »
Post of the year. Horseman whined and whined to have the purses go up to these levels. Now we're going for huge money, where it's now worth it for major stables to bring in top flight horses. More money equals more competition. Burke sold a horse at the jersey sale, tj blast, for 110k, that had been racing exclusively at nfld. Pretty tough racing local 10-15k claimers against those caliber. Rather than raising purses to these levels, Horseman should've considered setting aside a portion towards Ohio retirement plan or something constructive, but no. Go for more money, struggle to get it, and watch it all leave the state. Makes sense lol.

Well said, or set it aside for if the feared decoupling comes.  I doubt we will get bailed out like Canada when the slot revenue is pulled.

spillmygutsforabuck

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2018, 10:10:06 AM »
Post of the year. Horseman whined and whined to have the purses go up to these levels. Now we're going for huge money, where it's now worth it for major stables to bring in top flight horses. More money equals more competition. Burke sold a horse at the jersey sale, tj blast, for 110k, that had been racing exclusively at nfld. Pretty tough racing local 10-15k claimers against those caliber. Rather than raising purses to these levels, Horseman should've considered setting aside a portion towards Ohio retirement plan or something constructive, but no. Go for more money, struggle to get it, and watch it all leave the state. Makes sense lol.
Racing exclusively at northfield??? Pretty sure he had 151 line at yonkers the week of the sale that made him look really impressive!

Winners Win

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2018, 11:01:41 AM »
Racing exclusively at northfield??? Pretty sure he had 151 line at yonkers the week of the sale that made him look really impressive!

Exclusively would actually be better than when they bring them in for a certain class.  Like Burke bringing mares in to nw8000 that would have never seen nfld prior to purse increases.  I know Foiled again is 14 and should be retired but he couldnt get a check in nw3500.  Pre purse increases, you could win the nw4000 l5 with 10 claimer.

Fair is fair

• Open / FFA
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2018, 11:23:34 AM »
Funny to read all the cry babies about burke and the big stables at northfield. I was there pre slot, then after slot and now for the big purses. Is it ironic that all the same cry babies are still broke and only a couple have upgraded their stock. It doesnt matter what the purse structure is, the good, hard working trainers with good business sense are always going to win the majority of the purse money. You guys cry about Rhodes and burke and anyone else who does good. What about the Kent Sherman who set track not cant get a check?

Winners Win

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »
Funny to read all the cry babies about burke and the big stables at northfield. I was there pre slot, then after slot and now for the big purses. Is it ironic that all the same cry babies are still broke and only a couple have upgraded their stock. It doesnt matter what the purse structure is, the good, hard working trainers with good business sense are always going to win the majority of the purse money. You guys cry about Rhodes and burke and anyone else who does good. What about the Kent Sherman who set track not cant get a check?

Its funny how people cry about horse shortages but then say people should just upgrade their stock.  Not sure where people are supposed to find all of these horses to upgrade too.   We all know the group that has all nw1250 and nw2500 stables and I agree with you about them.  They were the ones championing the purse increases!

Fair is fair

• Open / FFA
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2018, 01:34:41 PM »

The problem you speak of is how can you possibly put a guy like Rhoades and Burke in the same sentence, no less the same planet. This roach clip Rhoades is nothing more than a warm body who is here today and gone tomorrow for the quick bearding payday. Shows up out of nowhere to go over 50 % win and bat 669 udrs is a complete sham. This is a scene that is playing out at every slot fueled dump in some way,shape or form with regulations getting run over on a daily basis. No fan of Burke either, but he is just too big to fail and too powerful to take down.
it doesn't matter who you put in that group. Point is all the crybabies crying about someone else taking the money they aren't good enough or smart enough to get.. if they are getting run over every night, GET OUT.

Fair is fair

• Open / FFA
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2018, 01:36:31 PM »
Its funny how people cry about horse shortages but then say people should just upgrade their stock.  Not sure where people are supposed to find all of these horses to upgrade too.   We all know the group that has all nw1250 and nw2500 stables and I agree with you about them.  They were the ones championing the purse increases!
plenty of claimed at every track there is. Especially scioto and pocono. Plyst the sales every couple months. GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND GET HORSES IF YOU WANT THEM. AND OVER PAY JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE WHO IS BUYING....

Winners Win

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »
it doesn't matter who you put in that group. Point is all the crybabies crying about someone else taking the money they aren't good enough or smart enough to get.. if they are getting run over every night, GET OUT.

You left out morally corrupt enough to get!

Winners Win

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2018, 01:40:50 PM »
plenty of claimed at every track there is. Especially scioto and pocono. Plyst the sales every couple months. GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND GET HORSES IF YOU WANT THEM. AND OVER PAY JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE WHO IS BUYING....

Overpaying and having to race there for 60 days.  No thank you.  You are making the point,  they were dumb to want this and getting what they deserve.    I'm glad mine are good enough to still get checks and have classes to drop to win. 

Fair is fair

• Open / FFA
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »
You left out morally corrupt enough to get!

What a joke statement that is. EVERYONE breaking rules 1 way or another. If you are so worried about morals, get out of the business

Winners Win

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
What a joke statement that is. EVERYONE breaking rules 1 way or another. If you are so worried about morals, get out of the business

What a joke that statement is.  I think a lot draw a line at turning a horses blood to sludge.

coryd03

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2018, 06:45:52 PM »
the fundamental problem with large purse increases and allowing "outside" stables to come in and race more and more horses isnt to difficult to understand. first of all, these stables have experienced many seasons of slot infused purses in their own states, prior to ohio getting slots, where their home states or tracks did indeed protect them.  this gave them a massive jump on our state, and also a massive influx of cash building over time allowing them to buy more expensive, better stock. now those stables have upgraded from this cashflow, and do indeed have better horses and resources, and can come right here and race for our newly raised purses. by not having preferences really of any sort here, its created a major problem for me and others im sure. we've had about 1 year of real decent slot purses and that was last year. i started to buy better horses myself since i had more money from racing for more money, obviously. but one year isnt really enough to fully upgrade a barn, and it has gotten so much tougher so quickly, its been impossible to adjust. i had a mare i bought last season for only 7k, make 67,000, and won opens in 154. this year, shes pacing the same speeds, and racing at fairs because its to tough for her there with the influx of new stock and out of state horses that i agree, are much better than mine. to have that much turn around in only one season is absurd. long story short, the rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer, or out of business.

furthermore, thinking its as easy as "just go buy better horses" is ridiculous. its the same premise as above. these super barns can go to the sale and buy horses for 4 and 5 times their values. a smaller time operation trying to build has to make "money earning decisions, and buys". i cant go to the sale and spend 25k on a horse that shows 15k claimers and will have to race in nw6500 at nfld if i dont want it to get claimed, against horses others paid 40, 50, 60+ for . those horses will struggle to make money and i cant afford to lose that much money, or take those big of gambles, because it was only about 3 years ago our highest purses were 6000. hard to believe now, but these big barns wouldve had the same issues years ago before their states got slots as well.

finally, to clear up the thinking that the purses are "to high" and the horseman shouldve thought it through better for only screaming to raise purses, their are any number of things im only assuming couldve been done differently, instead of watching it go out the guard gaits and down the road, to benefit other economies in other states. obviously the money is there. i understand the theory we have it, we need to distribute it now before the government gets it, but there seems to be alot that could be done to benefit everyone, not just the super stables. drivers now get 15 per drive no matter their finish which i agree with. how bout everyone getting paid in the race? how bout trainers/owners getting 100/head for racing if they dont finish top 5? how bout an incentive ohio owner based earnings program similar to pa where ohio owners get a 20% win bonus? these ideas would benefit all parties involved, and help the "little guys" go out and be able to spend more money and take more risks. it would even help the race office immensely as im sure a track that is paying 6th-9th places would have no problem filling the box. on the other hand, if youre worried guys would just buy rats to put in and collect 100/race, simple, lower the qualifying time! lol.  i i just think there are several ways to "spend" all this money constructively, rather than just hand it to the people who have had the opportunities to build bigger/better stables over time, in other states, by simply jacking up the purses as high as possible. as above, its making the already big guys bigger, the middle guys much smaller, and the hobyists, all but non existent.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:53:12 PM by coryd03 »

Winners Win

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2018, 08:16:12 PM »
the fundamental problem with large purse increases and allowing "outside" stables to come in and race more and more horses isnt to difficult to understand. first of all, these stables have experienced many seasons of slot infused purses in their own states, prior to ohio getting slots, where their home states or tracks did indeed protect them.  this gave them a massive jump on our state, and also a massive influx of cash building over time allowing them to buy more expensive, better stock. now those stables have upgraded from this cashflow, and do indeed have better horses and resources, and can come right here and race for our newly raised purses. by not having preferences really of any sort here, its created a major problem for me and others im sure. we've had about 1 year of real decent slot purses and that was last year. i started to buy better horses myself since i had more money from racing for more money, obviously. but one year isnt really enough to fully upgrade a barn, and it has gotten so much tougher so quickly, its been impossible to adjust. i had a mare i bought last season for only 7k, make 67,000, and won opens in 154. this year, shes pacing the same speeds, and racing at fairs because its to tough for her there with the influx of new stock and out of state horses that i agree, are much better than mine. to have that much turn around in only one season is absurd. long story short, the rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer, or out of business.

furthermore, thinking its as easy as "just go buy better horses" is ridiculous. its the same premise as above. these super barns can go to the sale and buy horses for 4 and 5 times their values. a smaller time operation trying to build has to make "money earning decisions, and buys". i cant go to the sale and spend 25k on a horse that shows 15k claimers and will have to race in nw6500 at nfld if i dont want it to get claimed, against horses others paid 40, 50, 60+ for . those horses will struggle to make money and i cant afford to lose that much money, or take those big of gambles, because it was only about 3 years ago our highest purses were 6000. hard to believe now, but these big barns wouldve had the same issues years ago before their states got slots as well.

finally, to clear up the thinking that the purses are "to high" and the horseman shouldve thought it through better for only screaming to raise purses, their are any number of things im only assuming couldve been done differently, instead of watching it go out the guard gaits and down the road, to benefit other economies in other states. obviously the money is there. i understand the theory we have it, we need to distribute it now before the government gets it, but there seems to be alot that could be done to benefit everyone, not just the super stables. drivers now get 15 per drive no matter their finish which i agree with. how bout everyone getting paid in the race? how bout trainers/owners getting 100/head for racing if they dont finish top 5? how bout an incentive ohio owner based earnings program similar to pa where ohio owners get a 20% win bonus? these ideas would benefit all parties involved, and help the "little guys" go out and be able to spend more money and take more risks. it would even help the race office immensely as im sure a track that is paying 6th-9th places would have no problem filling the box. on the other hand, if youre worried guys would just buy rats to put in and collect 100/race, simple, lower the qualifying time! lol.  i i just think there are several ways to "spend" all this money constructively, rather than just hand it to the people who have had the opportunities to build bigger/better stables over time, in other states, by simply jacking up the purses as high as possible. as above, its making the already big guys bigger, the middle guys much smaller, and the hobyists, all but non existent.

tmbz1

Joe Dirt

• Stakes Horse
  • #MeToo My Ass
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2018, 08:31:19 PM »

I SEE THAT CORY HAS GONE TO THE  mSo SCHOOL OF LONG WINDED POSTING.  WHY USE ONLY 10 WORDS WHEN 500 WILL DO?

Fatboy

• Living Legend
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2018, 08:43:28 PM »
I SEE THAT CORY HAS GONE TO THE  mSo SCHOOL OF LONG WINDED POSTING.  WHY USE ONLY 10 WORDS WHEN 500 WILL DO?

I'VE READ SHORTER BOOKS

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • SwankToliverA: Anyone see Cleveland Big J go down, 12th at Northfield? I was watching and never saw it
    June 24, 2024, 10:28:21 PM
  • Indian24: What about Northville?
    June 19, 2024, 05:16:54 PM
  • justskipit69: northville
    June 18, 2024, 08:07:19 PM
  • Calhoun: Royale Ascot meet Tues-Sat.. 9:30 am first post. Great, great week.
    June 17, 2024, 08:15:39 PM
  • SwankToliverA: What about him?
    June 13, 2024, 12:18:31 AM
  • Loserbob: Rene allard
    June 11, 2024, 08:02:07 PM
  • M P: BREAKING NEWS: Ploptwats are outwardly angry that pictures of horses they trash are posted on Plop...
    June 10, 2024, 10:11:17 PM
  • M P: Breaking News: Members of Horseplop state killing Standardbreds is perfectly fine. Stay tuned for more.
    June 10, 2024, 05:21:49 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal