Author Topic: Hall of Fame revisited  (Read 4617 times)

White Rabbit

• Open / FFA
Re: Hall of Fame revisited
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2023, 09:16:49 AM »
Fugzzi ,
Didn’t Sears , D. Miller & G. Brennan all have extended stays at the Meadows?

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2023, 09:37:24 AM »
Correct, but not at the same time as a colony that Palone had to reckon with day in and day out. Driving against the Zendts or wilder or Pantaleano is a different ballgame. I know Aaron Merriman is tghere as is Wrenn Jr.   You know its funny I would say all 3 of the drivers you mentioned are better than Palpone. Definitely Sears and Miller  I know about the 20,000 wins. Just saying they were amassed close to home with 16 race cards in a good racing environment where it is hard to use drugs or tube. when palone dipped his toe in the waters out East, he really didnt do that well. He is leading dash winner all time, but I wouldnt even put him in the top ten drivers all time list...Campbell, O'donnell, Herve, Lachance, Case, Tetrick.......... ...you know that list

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2023, 09:43:11 AM »
I guess, for me, it's a natter of numbers vs perception. Dave Palone never really caught my "eye"  BTW, one of my all time fave drivers is Jimmy Morrill Jr.  Great big money driver, great stretch and off the pace driver, great timing and very high UDRS everywhere - Grand circuit Big M and YR  early 2000s  He flat out rocks   Kinda guy that catches your eye

ferdinand the bull

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2024, 02:46:23 AM »
50 years around the business. Metro NY circuit  Ron Pierce being a partier is news to me
Pierce was into nature and hunting, never the big party guy, the others would party hard buy some girls ( Ouellette guys) and live like rockstars

RANDOLPH POKER

• 4 claimer
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2024, 09:20:01 AM »
O’Donnell drove Cambest

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2024, 10:02:07 AM »
Randolph Poker, another Senator Blutarsky alias ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2024, 12:57:58 PM »
50 years around the business. Metro NY circuit  Ron Pierce being a partier is news to me

Nothing more than rumor-mongering. 100 people will say shit like this, and maybe 1 person actually knows the guy, but I doubt he knows him intimately like this. Nothing more than wannabees.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2024, 01:01:30 PM »
There's not one person here who is a HOF voter, because there is not one person here qualified to be.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2024, 01:16:17 PM »
Dave Palone is a HOF driver. Period. I know the guy and know him well. He was asked to come to the Meadowlands, at a point in his life where he had some things going on, and some friends and supporters thought the time would be right. In the end, the things going on helped him decide to return home rather than make the permanent move to the Meadowlands. Regardless, the guy has always been a grand-circuit driver. Period. It's not all his wins that got him there. It's all his wins and the entire body of work. The people who voted him in there are not armchair, self-proclaimed, Monday morning internet quarterbacks. When someone here gets invited to become a HOF voter, please, please let me know.

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2024, 01:21:27 PM »
By the look of the last three (3) posts, someone sure likes the sound of themselves.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2024, 01:31:04 PM »
By the look of the last three (3) posts, someone sure likes the sound of themselves.

I absolutely do. Figure out how to get your head out of your ass, read your own posts, and you'll see why I like the sound of myself. It's called intelligence. Don't worry, it will always be foreign to you.

Bitter Truth

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2024, 01:37:38 PM »
 Well la de dah ;D

Locked in with pace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2024, 01:42:30 PM »
What did Parker do wrong that is keeping him out???

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2024, 02:49:05 PM »
What did Parker do wrong that is keeping him out???

He didn't do anything wrong. Personally, I always liked him, admired him, and respected him. Clean and sober since 1989. His knock is that he never regularly competed against the best, on a national stage, and showed he was competitive with the best. Norman Woolworth once said, and I am paraphrasing and taking it a bit out of context--but if a guy's career, his accomplishments, his entire body of work, and he competed against the best, jump out off the page, then he's a HOF'er. If they don't jump out, then he's not. I believe in his prime, Billy could have competed anywhere, against anybody. But he chose not to. If he did, he wouldn't have been happy. I think, maybe, he needed to stay home, doing what he was doing, in order to stay clean and sober.

kantseeback

• Elite
  • I'm voting for honest Joe and Mrs Canker Cackles
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2024, 05:08:13 PM »
He didn't do anything wrong. Personally, I always liked him, admired him, and respected him. Clean and sober since 1989. His knock is that he never regularly competed against the best, on a national stage, and showed he was competitive with the best. Norman Woolworth once said, and I am paraphrasing and taking it a bit out of context--but if a guy's career, his accomplishments, his entire body of work, and he competed against the best, jump out off the page, then he's a HOF'er. If they don't jump out, then he's not. I believe in his prime, Billy could have competed anywhere, against anybody. But he chose not to. If he did, he wouldn't have been happy. I think, maybe, he needed to stay home, doing what he was doing, in order to stay clean and sober.

It might come down to the choice of being a big fish in a little pond vs the opposite. I seem to remember Parker dipping his toes in the water at YR in the 90's where he was just average.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • justskipit69: northville
    June 18, 2024, 08:07:19 PM
  • Calhoun: Royale Ascot meet Tues-Sat.. 9:30 am first post. Great, great week.
    June 17, 2024, 08:15:39 PM
  • SwankToliverA: What about him?
    June 13, 2024, 12:18:31 AM
  • Loserbob: Rene allard
    June 11, 2024, 08:02:07 PM
  • M P: BREAKING NEWS: Ploptwats are outwardly angry that pictures of horses they trash are posted on Plop...
    June 10, 2024, 10:11:17 PM
  • M P: Breaking News: Members of Horseplop state killing Standardbreds is perfectly fine. Stay tuned for more.
    June 10, 2024, 05:21:49 PM
  • In It Deep: Hi Liberals
    June 05, 2024, 04:40:07 PM
  • In It Deep: 11.tfk
    May 28, 2024, 07:54:33 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal