Author Topic: John Manzi  (Read 3597 times)

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Re: John Manzi
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2023, 09:31:58 PM »
Mike Forte didn't help any several years ago, when he along with Jimmy Marohn driving in their mid 60s "retired" to Monti and were DEAD with everything and scheming to bet on others every single race. Forte would win like 2 out of every 50 drives, getting lost by the half and maybe eking out a 3rd when he was supposed. saw him getting in his car one afternoon. Yup, a crappy KIA Forte.

Lar4400

• 4 claimer
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2023, 02:13:34 PM »
What a guy… I had one racing at monti and I was out of state. It was my only horse so I really wanted to see the ace but this was just before we could watch online. I called john and he said don’t worry I’ll call you just before the race and I will let you listen to to the live call from my office on speaker phone.
Who does that?
A true pro and a good human at the same time.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2023, 04:09:30 PM »
That was John and when he gone there will be no replacing him literally of course and figuratively

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2023, 05:41:50 PM »
Look at all the Ploppers who appreciate John, as I do. Years ago I was at MR and began chatting with the track photographer, a nice lady who always seemed to know things. Anyway I asked her where was John? She says he was showed the door to save overhead with nothing to show for all his years. I hope that isn’t true but it made me sick.

dougie

• Top Claimer
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2023, 06:31:19 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words that you "Ploppers" said about John. I will read the whole thread to him when i call him next Sunday. If anyone wants to tell me your "real name", via a private message, i will of course let him know. Thanks so much for all your knidness.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2023, 07:22:47 PM »
Look at all the Ploppers who appreciate John, as I do. Years ago I was at MR and began chatting with the track photographer, a nice lady who always seemed to know things. Anyway I asked her where was John? She says he was showed the door to save overhead with nothing to show for all his years. I hope that isn’t true but it made me sick.
That cant be true, for goodness sake. If it is, it's a crime. Always liked and respected that he campaigned hard for Billy Parker jr for the HOF

kantseeback

• Elite
  • I'm voting for honest Joe and Mrs Canker Cackles
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2023, 08:54:22 PM »
Had a great chat with John Manzi tonight. He's hanging in there and ennjoying retirement. For all you "Ploppers" who never met John at Monticello ("The Mighty M"), you missed quite a guy. Although John starting out driving at Monti's oval, he spent much of his career as the Public Relations Director at what was "the fastest 1/2 mile track" in America. His promotions were legendary. I doubt John is a member of "Horseplop". If he is, and he's reading this....I love you John! THey'll never be another like you!
I had a summer home up there in a small town about 5 miles from the track. I met John many times during that period 1989 - 1999. He was always a friendly guy. He was usually somewhere in the vicinity of the track apron in his sport coat chomping a cigar. John was also a dj at the local doo wop radio station. There was a 50's style song they played on that station called manzi's got no hair, the song insinuated John had a toupee made of horse hair. One sunday afternoon I saw him on the track apron and asked him if his toupe was really made of horse hair. He busted out laughing and then I asked him to play an oldies song for my gf and true to his word at 7pm he played the song for her after he had a long laughing conversation with the radio people around him explaining how I walked up to him and asked him about his horse hair toupe.
A few facts about John,
He won 300 races as a driver
He is related to catman

kantseeback

• Elite
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2023, 09:00:18 PM »
Mike Forte didn't help any several years ago, when he along with Jimmy Marohn driving in their mid 60s "retired" to Monti and were DEAD with everything and scheming to bet on others every single race. Forte would win like 2 out of every 50 drives, getting lost by the half and maybe eking out a 3rd when he was supposed. saw him getting in his car one afternoon. Yup, a crappy KIA Forte.
Marohn senior really didnt go to monti to retire, he was banished from yonkers at that time.
He was stiffing everything at YR and then in a news article he said horses are not cars and people expect him to drive the horses like cadillacs.
I remember seeing him at monti run 4th with a 3-5 shot, he never tried

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2023, 09:03:38 PM »
Marohn senior really didnt go to monti to retire, he was banished from yonkers at that time.
He was stiffing everything at YR and then in a news article he said horses are not cars and people expect him to drive the horses like cadillacs.
Ty for the education  I didnt mean retire literally. I knew Jimmy quite well. He drove for me many, many times at YR/RR

In fact, I once went to a Christmas party he and his wife, May, held at their apartment in Manhattan. You know what makes me feel old? I held Jimmy Marohn Jr. as a baby in my arms at that party  time continues to fly

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2023, 09:06:29 PM »
Jimmy did very well by me over all and generally tried hard. When he was dead he reported directly to Joe Marsh jr and Rejean

kantseeback

• Elite
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2023, 09:18:00 PM »
Ty for the education  I didnt mean retire literally. I knew Jimmy quite well. He drove for me many, many times at YR/RR

In fact, I once went to a Christmas party he and his wife, May, held at their apartment in Manhattan. You know what makes me feel old? I held Jimmy Marohn Jr. as a baby in my arms at that party  time continues to fly
I only ran into marohn sr once but he was friendly.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2023, 09:25:00 PM »
Definitely   usually smiling  cracking a joke   will say this even when not trying he would dart in and out   save ground    always want to get you a check   -   very heavy with the whip

harnessplop

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2023, 09:32:04 PM »
He stiffed horses maroon sr...favs. wow. Question though, of he has all this money then why does he kid not own top horses and drive them...the kid isndriving day n night

kantseeback

• Elite
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2023, 09:36:16 PM »
Definitely   usually smiling  cracking a joke   will say this even when not trying he would dart in and out   save ground    always want to get you a check   -   very heavy with the whip
The last time I saw sr he had won a race at YR with a horse named harriet, maybe the early 90's?

bello

• Elite
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2023, 10:41:49 PM »

Jimmy was caught cashing tickets at Middletown OTB showing he was betting against himself. Banished from Monti after that.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Calhoun: Royale Ascot meet Tues-Sat.. 9:30 am first post. Great, great week.
    June 17, 2024, 08:15:39 PM
  • SwankToliverA: What about him?
    June 13, 2024, 12:18:31 AM
  • Loserbob: Rene allard
    June 11, 2024, 08:02:07 PM
  • M P: BREAKING NEWS: Ploptwats are outwardly angry that pictures of horses they trash are posted on Plop...
    June 10, 2024, 10:11:17 PM
  • M P: Breaking News: Members of Horseplop state killing Standardbreds is perfectly fine. Stay tuned for more.
    June 10, 2024, 05:21:49 PM
  • In It Deep: Hi Liberals
    June 05, 2024, 04:40:07 PM
  • In It Deep: 11.tfk
    May 28, 2024, 07:54:33 PM
  • In It Deep: The Butt Nut
    May 28, 2024, 07:49:02 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal