Author Topic: SARATOGA SLIP AND SLIDE....  (Read 3050 times)

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
SARATOGA SLIP AND SLIDE....
« on: August 21, 2023, 09:16:18 PM »
Sadly 2023 is a slipping into the books as one of the worst TB meets in Saratoga history. Are we seeing this great summer venue sliding into the abyss like many other cherished venues? Its concerning to see won of the summers long time great venues host dare I say hesitantly, bad season.  Agreeably you cant control the weather, but you CAN plan on better track surface management that was evident in years past.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

HornbyDuke

• Elite
Re: SARATOGA SLIP AND SLIDE....
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 09:30:38 PM »
Arent they breaking attendance records still. I thought i heard some nyra shrill claiming that on local sports talk radio show.

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 10:24:11 PM »
I agree this meet is not one of their best so far. Constant short fields especially on the turf. Too many incidents where one has to believe the track conditions aren’t always as they should be. The NYRA judges are inconsistent and have made some big errors in my opinion. Although both Ortiz boys have finally been suspended the judges waited way too long to act. The weather is the weather. It has been bad everywhere this summer. Unless you enjoy betting with very little information, the track has so many Maiden Special Weight 2 year old races it turns me off. I am probably in the minority on this comment but betting seems to be about inside information not anything you can read on the racing form.

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 11:45:16 PM »
I agree this meet is not one of their best so far. Constant short fields especially on the turf. Too many incidents where one has to believe the track conditions aren’t always as they should be. The NYRA judges are inconsistent and have made some big errors in my opinion. Although both Ortiz boys have finally been suspended the judges waited way too long to act. The weather is the weather. It has been bad everywhere this summer. Unless you enjoy betting with very little information, the track has so many Maiden Special Weight 2 year old races it turns me off. I am probably in the minority on this comment but betting seems to be about inside information not anything you can read on the racing form.

But the people who own those 2 yr old special weight maidens love it!  They get a chance to get some return on their investments!

Calhoun

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 02:57:32 AM »
But the people who own those 2 yr old special weight maidens love it!  They get a chance to get some return on their investments!
East Coast Bias much?

Saratoga 2 yo's as highly important is fake news.  Very fake.

The last Kentucky Derby winner to break its maiden at Saratoga was Big Brown in 2008.

The last Derby winner to RUN at Saratoga was Always Dreaming in 2017.

Between the short fields, washed out turf races, horses dropping dead, whatever the fuck they let Linda Rice and Irad get away with for the first 4 weeks and the weather... awful meet. 

Some of it, you can't help.  But 5 horse $30k claiming races is just bad management.

Mailbox Money

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 10:12:50 AM »
Never been there but the NYRA broadcast proclaims the place is Heavan on earth!

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 10:37:23 AM »
It’s true the track is a very nice place to visit. The backyard and picnic area is a big summer party. I believe most fans in the back the track rarely go to the front apron to watch the races. There are tv monitors everywhere to watch the races. Although it is not cheap there are plenty of eating and drinking options. The are lots of wagering options and unless it is a monster day like The Travers it is very hard to be shut out. The backyard can get quite warm and if it rains you have to run for cover indoors. If you opt to sit in the grandstand there is very little air circulating but the views are good. If you have never been to Saratoga do put it on your Bucket List. Stay in a B&B in the area and enjoy downtown Saratoga Springs.

dinkadoo

• Elite
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 10:56:01 AM »
Money definitely good... I have a share in a filly to be entered on the turf for Saturday on Travers Day... MSW going Mile 1/16th.

JL52

• Open / FFA
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2023, 12:41:01 PM »
Hope she’s a muddier.

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 03:04:52 PM »
East Coast Bias much?

Saratoga 2 yo's as highly important is fake news.  Very fake.

The last Kentucky Derby winner to break its maiden at Saratoga was Big Brown in 2008.

The last Derby winner to RUN at Saratoga was Always Dreaming in 2017.

Between the short fields, washed out turf races, horses dropping dead, whatever the fuck they let Linda Rice and Irad get away with for the first 4 weeks and the weather... awful meet. 

Some of it, you can't help.  But 5 horse $30k claiming races is just bad management.

It's not my fault that Saratoga is on the east coast.  You are racing at one of the handful and most prestigious racetracks in the world!  If you have the money and a decent horse, you can trek to Saratoga from anywhere in the country/world, pay the bills and race there!  Also, if you are extremely lucky you can stable your horse at Saratoga Raceway right across the street from the mecca too!

BoKnows

• Top Claimer
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2023, 12:25:45 AM »
Not sure if stabling your horse at Saratoga Raceway would be considered getting lucky. Barns haven't even been painted since I was a groom there 40+ years ago. Forget about anything being repaired. At least NYRA occasionally does some work on their barns. I really think the harness track would love for the barn area to be abandoned like the Meadowlands. They already removed the training track.

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2023, 04:59:29 AM »
Not sure if stabling your horse at Saratoga Raceway would be considered getting lucky. Barns haven't even been painted since I was a groom there 40+ years ago. Forget about anything being repaired. At least NYRA occasionally does some work on their barns. I really think the harness track would love for the barn area to be abandoned like the Meadowlands. They already removed the training track.

I was being sarcastic if you owned a thoroughbred!  I have one standardbred horse currently racing there and another standardbred horse making periodic visits there.  Agreed on the barns being that bad.  Probably been longer than 40 years---seriously!

harnessplop

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2023, 11:50:52 AM »
Bring in jai alai

BoKnows

• Top Claimer
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2023, 02:45:30 PM »
I have a standardbred currently stabled there as well. Its sad how much they neglect the grounds. I think they get good money for stall rent from the thoroughbreds. They should put some of that money into the barns.

HornbyDuke

• Elite
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2023, 10:47:05 AM »
If ur going to the Travers, phish is in town so traffic will be a mess between the two. Stay home, bet the winner (Mage) and watch on tv.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • SwankToliverA: Anyone see Cleveland Big J go down, 12th at Northfield? I was watching and never saw it
    June 24, 2024, 10:28:21 PM
  • Indian24: What about Northville?
    June 19, 2024, 05:16:54 PM
  • justskipit69: northville
    June 18, 2024, 08:07:19 PM
  • Calhoun: Royale Ascot meet Tues-Sat.. 9:30 am first post. Great, great week.
    June 17, 2024, 08:15:39 PM
  • SwankToliverA: What about him?
    June 13, 2024, 12:18:31 AM
  • Loserbob: Rene allard
    June 11, 2024, 08:02:07 PM
  • M P: BREAKING NEWS: Ploptwats are outwardly angry that pictures of horses they trash are posted on Plop...
    June 10, 2024, 10:11:17 PM
  • M P: Breaking News: Members of Horseplop state killing Standardbreds is perfectly fine. Stay tuned for more.
    June 10, 2024, 05:21:49 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal