Author Topic: Where are they now ???  (Read 20623 times)

Generation XYZ

• Elite
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
Re: Where are they now ???
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2023, 09:10:15 AM »
Another thing with Clint,. When they Syndicated Niatross after he retried, Clint, Lou Guida and Morty Finder did everything they could to screw Niatross's original owner, Elsie Berger, out of every penny they could.

That was probaly more Lou Guida's role than the others. Lou Guida never met a party he wouldnt sue.
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2023, 09:15:56 AM »
That was probaly more Lou Guida's role than the others. Lou Guida never met a party he wouldnt sue.
And Morty "The Degenerate" Finder, who wore Gucci suits with torn Black Converse. He used to haunt the 52nd ST. OTB/Restaurant sniffing around the Poulin wiseguy/bookmaker connections looking for a handout.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2023, 09:22:14 AM »
Clint prided himself with statements about his practically non existent vet bills.  Once had nearly 40 horses at Vernon and total vet bill was just over $100.
There were two barns you could always rely upon to gobble up 3 year olds coming 4 late in the year as the "castoff, lower echelon horses who got lost in the shuffle" went to Harrisburg or were advertised for sale privately. Clint Galbraith and Billy Haughton.
Also, Billy Popfinger before he returned to Fla. for the winter. Lotsa good raceway stock could be grabbed in those days for 10 -25k in the "fire sales"

SPREE2015

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2023, 01:26:34 AM »
J.D. lost his nerve after his last mishap in the bike!
GUESSING J.D. AND RYAN ANDERSON DECIDED TO JOIN THE WORKING STIFFS
RYAN WAS BLESSED WITH TALENTED HORSES 🐎 TO DRIVE

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2023, 03:01:56 AM »
There are so many drivers from the 70’s I would like updates. We all pretty much know about drivers that regularly drove at YR, RR and the Big M. But what about the minions from MR, FHLD, Brandy and Liberty Bell? Just to ask about a few…Marvin Maker, Bill Bresnahan, Syl Decample, George Sziklai..he changed his last name years ago. Or anyone else from the Golden Years of harness racing.

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2023, 06:18:25 AM »
There are so many drivers from the 70’s I would like updates. We all pretty much know about drivers that regularly drove at YR, RR and the Big M. But what about the minions from MR, FHLD, Brandy and Liberty Bell? Just to ask about a few…Marvin Maker, Bill Bresnahan, Syl Decample, George Sziklai..he changed his last name years ago. Or anyone else from the Golden Years of harness racing.

Szikalai changed his name to Cliff
Syl deceased
Bresnahan barred for life
Marvin bouncing around somewhere

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2023, 07:18:29 AM »
There were many, many very good drivers who elected to stay home when the Meadowlands opened. Wanted nothing to do with the big city life. 

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2023, 08:54:08 AM »
Syl deceased
Can't remember a leading driver at any track ( meaning the annual dash winner ), who was more enmeshed in corruption and dumped more races than Billy Bresnahan. Amazing he found the time to win any. He was Herve's "bitch ", I guess you would call it.

Emperor Dapple

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2023, 03:33:21 PM »

George Sziklai aka George Cliff died year ago out in Vegas

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2023, 03:37:26 PM »
Anyone know what became of Mario Marcellino from MR. Once heard he was a NYC cop, if memory serves in addition to racing horses. Red and gold colors.

The Thorn

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2023, 03:44:00 PM »
There is still one living in Monticello with that name.  His contact info is published online including a phone number.  It's not hard to find just search for Mario Marcellino harness

The Thorn

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2023, 03:55:54 PM »
You know everybody Fuguzzi.  Was there a Cory Garafalo at Meadowlands in the late 80s or am I confusing him with Carl who got popped for drug stuff a few years ago? For reference Mike Loreto was Garafalo's 2nd trainer and Jersey Joe Schwind drove for them most of the time.

Emperor Dapple

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2023, 03:57:45 PM »
Anyone know what became of Mario Marcellino from MR. Once heard he was a NYC cop, if memory serves in addition to racing horses. Red and gold colors.

not a cop.. mario still around up in Monti.. had a terrible accident that left him a quadriplegic but doing as well as possible under the circumstances .. great guy..loved and respected by many

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2023, 05:15:11 PM »
Syl deceased

4 Monticello guys -- mid to late 70s

Bobby Delcampo
John Stadelman Jr.
Gary Matthews
Randy Perry

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2023, 05:39:23 PM »
The only person from MR that Jidge mentioned that I ever heard of is little Randy Perry. Of course he also raced in NYC and I think he is still around. There are so many MR trainers and drivers that have come and gone.One of my favs long ago was Jim Grundy. He was quite successful for a few years at MR before packing up and head west to California. He had a successful career there too. Another MR favorite who I actually made a good buck betting was Gilles Villemure the ex-NHL goalie. He would show up out of nowhere with long shots. I, being a NY Ranger fan, bet him first and second in every exacta he was in. So many times he would come in the money with a limited number of horses. Villemure is 83 years young probably living in the French area of Canada.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • SwankToliverA: Anyone see Cleveland Big J go down, 12th at Northfield? I was watching and never saw it
    June 24, 2024, 10:28:21 PM
  • Indian24: What about Northville?
    June 19, 2024, 05:16:54 PM
  • justskipit69: northville
    June 18, 2024, 08:07:19 PM
  • Calhoun: Royale Ascot meet Tues-Sat.. 9:30 am first post. Great, great week.
    June 17, 2024, 08:15:39 PM
  • SwankToliverA: What about him?
    June 13, 2024, 12:18:31 AM
  • Loserbob: Rene allard
    June 11, 2024, 08:02:07 PM
  • M P: BREAKING NEWS: Ploptwats are outwardly angry that pictures of horses they trash are posted on Plop...
    June 10, 2024, 10:11:17 PM
  • M P: Breaking News: Members of Horseplop state killing Standardbreds is perfectly fine. Stay tuned for more.
    June 10, 2024, 05:21:49 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal