Author Topic: Where are they now ???  (Read 20624 times)

Fuguzzi

• Elite
Re: Where are they now ???
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2023, 05:44:14 PM »
not a cop.. mario still around up in Monti.. had a terrible accident that left him a quadriplegic but doing as well as possible under the circumstances .. great guy..loved and respected by many
Oh no  Hate to hear that happened to mario and I know you are right now. I think Mario was a HS teacher. Math. I may be wrong, but that rings a bell. I wish him well if he reads this.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2023, 05:47:00 PM »
You know everybody Fuguzzi.  Was there a Cory Garafalo at Meadowlands in the late 80s or am I confusing him with Carl who got popped for drug stuff a few years ago? For reference Mike Loreto was Garafalo's 2nd trainer and Jersey Joe Schwind drove for them most of the time.
I only remember Carl Garafalo. Bought a horse off him after I trained the horse a trip in 2.02 to a jog cart. Something felt off, so I asked to measure the hopples. He obliged. The right was 2 inches longer than the left. He wasn't quite the YR/RR material I hoped for but did very well in New England

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2023, 05:52:05 PM »
The only person from MR that Jidge mentioned that I ever heard of is little Randy Perry. Of course he also raced in NYC and I think he is still around. There are so many MR trainers and drivers that have come and gone.One of my favs long ago was Jim Grundy. He was quite successful for a few years at MR before packing up and head west to California. He had a successful career there too. Another MR favorite who I actually made a good buck betting was Gilles Villemure the ex-NHL goalie. He would show up out of nowhere with long shots. I, being a NY Ranger fan, bet him first and second in every exacta he was in. So many times he would come in the money with a limited number of horses. Villemure is 83 years young probably living in the French area of Canada.
Gary Matthews??? Now that one escapes me. Randy Perry had some decent horses including one I used to race against called Prime Almahurst. Rest of course, I know of. Wow  - John Stadleman Jr.  Wonder what became of him....

Emperor Dapple

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2023, 05:56:05 PM »
Oh no  Hate to hear that happened to mario and I know you are right now. I think Mario was a HS teacher. Math. I may be wrong, but that rings a bell. I wish him well if he reads this.

i think Mario was in horse biz shortly after high school as a groom for Sach Werner and eventually worked his way up to a trainer driver.. he was racing in Yonkers by late 70's..
i'm wondering if ur confusing Mario with Joe Ferregina who was a retired NYPD cop.. He may have had similar colors to Mario.. He was also a real nice guy..

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2023, 06:05:27 PM »
Could well be. I am just very sure that Mario did something else beyond racing. Thought it was teaching. Pretty sure Mario had a horse named Kildavin for a guy named Athens, a Greek restaurant guy from Waterbury, Ct.

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2023, 06:28:05 PM »
Gary Matthews??? Now that one escapes me. Randy Perry had some decent horses including one I used to race against called Prime Almahurst. Rest of course, I know of. Wow  - John Stadleman Jr.  Wonder what became of him....

Hey Fuguzzi how about these --

Alan Elsbree
Al Sleva Jr.
George Oaks
Jack Quinn
Jayne Weller

tumbleweed

• Open / FFA
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2023, 06:41:03 PM »
Porky Oaks..now thats a real blast from the past

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2023, 06:48:00 PM »
Hey Fuguzzi how about these --

Alan Elsbree
Al Sleva Jr.
George Oaks
Jack Quinn
Jayne Weller
only know George Oaks   Go easy now, I'm only 60 73cv.2

tumbleweed

• Open / FFA
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2023, 06:51:38 PM »
porky was his nickname

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2023, 06:52:39 PM »
only know George Oaks   Go easy now, I'm only 60 73cv.2

Yeah -- this crew is probably a little before your time -- by the 80s I was already on the west coast.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2023, 06:56:43 PM »
Yeah -- this crew is probably a little before your time -- by the 80s I was already on the west coast.
you guys remember Alan Alkes and Paul Appel??

Paul Appel had a horse named Spinning Son that my Mom used to bet because she said I made her head spin

tumbleweed

• Open / FFA
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2023, 07:00:20 PM »
I see Al every year in south Florida. Still a character with many stories

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2023, 07:01:18 PM »
Delcampo trained for the Glassers for awhile. He was a top pool player.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2023, 07:06:31 PM »
Delcampo trained for the Glassers for awhile. He was a top pool player.
I heard that. George Hadges was also. he was known as an east coast hustler.. Plus he owned a really classy upscale billiard hall on Tuckahoe Rd. in Yonkers. George married into money and was loaded with money himself. He did very well and always had some nice "lightswitch" horses including the Open Pacer MeGottaBret.

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2023, 07:10:36 PM »
Anyone recall Sid Allen? He owned a restaurant in Jersey, raced a number of horses on the NY circuit.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • SwankToliverA: Anyone see Cleveland Big J go down, 12th at Northfield? I was watching and never saw it
    June 24, 2024, 10:28:21 PM
  • Indian24: What about Northville?
    June 19, 2024, 05:16:54 PM
  • justskipit69: northville
    June 18, 2024, 08:07:19 PM
  • Calhoun: Royale Ascot meet Tues-Sat.. 9:30 am first post. Great, great week.
    June 17, 2024, 08:15:39 PM
  • SwankToliverA: What about him?
    June 13, 2024, 12:18:31 AM
  • Loserbob: Rene allard
    June 11, 2024, 08:02:07 PM
  • M P: BREAKING NEWS: Ploptwats are outwardly angry that pictures of horses they trash are posted on Plop...
    June 10, 2024, 10:11:17 PM
  • M P: Breaking News: Members of Horseplop state killing Standardbreds is perfectly fine. Stay tuned for more.
    June 10, 2024, 05:21:49 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal