Author Topic: Roosevelt Raceway Stats  (Read 2917 times)

7minuteAbz

• Top Claimer
Re: Roosevelt Raceway Stats
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2023, 05:11:40 PM »
Jordan Rubin told a funny Rejean story, how RD was supposed to be no better than 2nd in the number, so he threw his whip away in deep stretch to avoid winning the race.

remington

• Open / FFA
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2023, 05:12:26 PM »
I remember when Lachance first came to RR and Yonkers the drivers ran him all over the track and wouldn't work with him. He had to leave went to Liberty Bell Brandywine Maybe some other track. Then he came back to NY with a power house stable and The drivers decided to work with him and not against him so he became one of them. Eddie Cobb had a power house stable but they wouldn't work with him. I liked him he took a lot of money out of the windows too.

comeonman

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2023, 05:27:09 PM »
Two great quotes from some time ago.....boys...re member you don't have to win to win.....another one....anyone can win a race but when you bet yourself for third and get third then your good....i wont mention names but not here with us anymore

remington

• Open / FFA
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2023, 05:36:43 PM »
It's easier to loose a race than win one.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2023, 06:11:36 PM »
Two great quotes from some time ago.....boys...re member you don't have to win to win.....another one....anyone can win a race but when you bet yourself for third and get third then your good....i wont mention names but not here with us anymore
Herve and or Frank popfinger

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2023, 06:12:37 PM »
Jordan Rubin told a funny Rejean story, how RD was supposed to be no better than 2nd in the number, so he threw his whip away in deep stretch to avoid winning the race.
I did paddocks for Jordan Rubin and I believe that story is just that, a story.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2023, 06:16:06 PM »
I remember when Lachance first came to RR and Yonkers the drivers ran him all over the track and wouldn't work with him. He had to leave went to Liberty Bell Brandywine Maybe some other track. Then he came back to NY with a power house stable and The drivers decided to work with him and not against him so he became one of them. Eddie Cobb had a power house stable but they wouldn't work with him. I liked him he took a lot of money out of the windows too.
Lachances first night on his second try in NY was in 1981. he was listed to drive in every single race. He had 3 from his barn in. It was a Monday. I still have the pink Sports Eye from the the Sunday. Michel was in every single race. 2 from his barn won. The first went wire to wire from the 6 hole. I think its name was Scout Hanover. Anyway, he won 3 that night.

comeonman

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2023, 07:11:12 PM »
in my opnion and most others Mike was the best horsemen of all drivers by far... and your correct

remington

• Open / FFA
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2023, 07:18:39 PM »
Norman Dauplaise was quit a horseman too.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2023, 07:29:38 PM »
in my opnion and most others Mike was the best horsemen of all drivers by far... and your correct
Mike Lavalee who had trained for Herve was the listed trainer for M. Lachance Stable in those day. Several years later after Coco Cormier quit after gettingin trouble many times., Lavalee and Cormier ended up selling hay and grain at YR after RR closed for good. Always thought it was sad to see the 2 of them around 60 years old humping hay and grain into barns off a truck

remington

• Open / FFA
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2023, 07:32:38 PM »
Never met Lavalee but met Coccoin the early seventies.

7minuteAbz

• Top Claimer
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2023, 07:35:49 PM »
I did paddocks for Jordan Rubin and I believe that story is just that, a story.
Do you doubt that he told the story, or doubt that it actually happened? Because we were all sitting in a box at Saratoga Harness with him.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2023, 07:42:00 PM »
Do you doubt that he told the story, or doubt that it actually happened? Because we were all sitting in a box at Saratoga Harness with him.
He absolutely told the story, not doubting you. I just doubt the incident happened where RD tossed a whip away to keep from winning. jordan was definitely larger than life and could tell a story or 2. Hear him a mile away.

7minuteAbz

• Top Claimer
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2023, 08:20:59 PM »

Teddy Wing was sharp. Trained a powerful table for Larry "Knish" Kadish.
Also helped Vinny (RIP) with Skip By Night.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 08:26:10 PM by 7minuteAbz »

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2023, 08:24:31 PM »
Ok I was told a story long ago that I have no direct knowledge if it is true, but perhaps someone knows. Mike LaChance had become the kingpin of YR and RR. At this time a new and talented Rejean D comes along and starts winning a bit. Supposedly Mike had a friendly chat with RD to cool it somewhat and not to get too greedy. Then one night RD won a bunch of races and Mike was pissed. Supposedly Mike found him late in their parking lot and kicked the crap out of RD. That ended that. I heard this story too many times but still wonder if it was true. Personally I always had great respect for Mike’s talent and toughness. Any thoughts?

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • SwankToliverA: Anyone see Cleveland Big J go down, 12th at Northfield? I was watching and never saw it
    June 24, 2024, 10:28:21 PM
  • Indian24: What about Northville?
    June 19, 2024, 05:16:54 PM
  • justskipit69: northville
    June 18, 2024, 08:07:19 PM
  • Calhoun: Royale Ascot meet Tues-Sat.. 9:30 am first post. Great, great week.
    June 17, 2024, 08:15:39 PM
  • SwankToliverA: What about him?
    June 13, 2024, 12:18:31 AM
  • Loserbob: Rene allard
    June 11, 2024, 08:02:07 PM
  • M P: BREAKING NEWS: Ploptwats are outwardly angry that pictures of horses they trash are posted on Plop...
    June 10, 2024, 10:11:17 PM
  • M P: Breaking News: Members of Horseplop state killing Standardbreds is perfectly fine. Stay tuned for more.
    June 10, 2024, 05:21:49 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal