Author Topic: I dont wtch football, so here's some MR trivia  (Read 1972 times)

Fuguzzi

• Elite
I dont wtch football, so here's some MR trivia
« on: September 10, 2023, 06:10:32 PM »
Warren Desantis was a very good race secy throughout the Northeast and a very nice man. His brother R.W. "Dick" Desantis had some good success for years at Monti as a trainer/driver, but that's not all he did. What business did he also own that had something to do with the horses?

sacbee

• Open / FFA
Re: I dont wtch football, so here's some MR trivia
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 06:54:53 PM »
Victory lane

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 07:02:46 PM »
You got it!  Great liniment. i loved how it smelled. Good job buddy.

sacbee

• Open / FFA
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 07:03:57 PM »
It's one of my favorite liniments

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 07:09:18 PM »
LI used to switch between Victory Lane sweats and cold water whirlpool baths on front legs. Awesome for tendons. Heard he cooked it up in his kitchen in spaghetti pots. maybe thats a legend...lol

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 07:19:25 PM »
Any of you Monticello guys mid-late 70s remember a guy "Coconut" Bob Grove?  Always wore Hawaiian shirts -- he owned a parking lot in the city and would come up to Monti in the summer to gamble.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2023, 07:21:01 PM »
No, I dont  Sounds like he was a blast.

Now, what about Honor Dunkentell  aka "The Dunk"

Emperor Dapple

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2023, 07:32:22 PM »

yes , nice guy and dead

Gaagoots

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2023, 07:32:28 PM »

Great guy he liked the young white girls!

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2023, 07:34:16 PM »

I know the name but I think I was already gone by then.  I 2nd trained at Monticello in the 70s and Meadowlands when they opened in 76 through 77-78. Stabled next to Mike Gagliardi. Very nice guy, but I was always looking over my shoulder.

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2023, 07:42:33 PM »
Honor Dunkentell was so short and his arms were so long, I hate to say this but his knuckles literally dragged the ground. he raised a brood in the tack rooms at Monti, they used to call the grooms dorms Dunkentell Arms   the Dunk was a great guy, never a harsh word

theokodjak26

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2023, 07:53:17 PM »
Anyone recall trainer/driver Fred Heck? His daughter Brenda has been married to Gary Messenger for a long time. Always betting at live MR. My friends dad was a pharmacist who sold legal supplements to Fred. We would drive up to MR in the mornings to deliver them. One day we were there and Fred told us he had a horse named Comet Adios a rollicking C-3 pacer. C-3 at Monticello was like L-3 at Yonkers 😀. Fred liked his long shot’s chances, didn’t they all. Through my friend’s dad bookie I bet the house, $5 win and place. The next day I opened the Daily News and saw the horse won and paid $38 and $12. I collected $125 and now I was a millionaire. The next week I saw my friend’s dad to thank him and asked what was in those supplements? He just smiled at me.  tmbz1 tmbz1

Emperor Dapple

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2023, 08:05:54 PM »
Anyone recall trainer/driver Fred Heck? His daughter Brenda has been married to Gary Messenger for a long time. Always betting at live MR. My friends dad was a pharmacist who sold legal supplements to Fred. We would drive up to MR in the mornings to deliver them. One day we were there and Fred told us he had a horse named Comet Adios a rollicking C-3 pacer. C-3 at Monticello was like L-3 at Yonkers 😀. Fred liked his long shot’s chances, didn’t they all. Through my friend’s dad bookie I bet the house, $5 win and place. The next day I opened the Daily News and saw the horse won and paid $38 and $12. I collected $125 and now I was a millionaire. The next week I saw my friend’s dad to thank him and asked what was in those supplements? He just smiled at me.  tmbz1 tmbz1

hi ted

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2023, 08:44:08 PM »
Sure do remember Fred Heck. Cute story.

Now what about BigZ from Montague, George Zitone.

JIDGE

• Open / FFA
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2023, 10:34:12 PM »
Sure do remember Fred Heck. Cute story.

Now what about BigZ from Montague, George Zitone.

Del Biccum raced off that farm. Guy went down the road with everything. Mike's Success.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Indian24: What about Northville?
    June 19, 2024, 05:16:54 PM
  • justskipit69: northville
    June 18, 2024, 08:07:19 PM
  • Calhoun: Royale Ascot meet Tues-Sat.. 9:30 am first post. Great, great week.
    June 17, 2024, 08:15:39 PM
  • SwankToliverA: What about him?
    June 13, 2024, 12:18:31 AM
  • Loserbob: Rene allard
    June 11, 2024, 08:02:07 PM
  • M P: BREAKING NEWS: Ploptwats are outwardly angry that pictures of horses they trash are posted on Plop...
    June 10, 2024, 10:11:17 PM
  • M P: Breaking News: Members of Horseplop state killing Standardbreds is perfectly fine. Stay tuned for more.
    June 10, 2024, 05:21:49 PM
  • In It Deep: Hi Liberals
    June 05, 2024, 04:40:07 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal