Author Topic: Why no Sugg?  (Read 6826 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dougie

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2648
Why no Sugg?
« on: September 22, 2023, 10:17:02 PM »
I watch a lot of races at Northfield, and always wonder why no owner/trainer ever puts Kurt Sugg on a horse in a big race. I know Sugg can drive pretty well, but it would seem other Northfield drivers get into the big out of town races. Any ideas on this topic?

Mailbox Money

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1231
Re: Why no Sugg?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 11:32:31 AM »
Define big race. Are you talking about Sire Stakes or Grand Circuit type races.?

Fuguzzi

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3104
Re: Why no Sugg?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 12:52:48 PM »
Define big race. Are you talking about Sire Stakes or Grand Circuit type races.?
The Suggs were a fine racing family. Didn't a son die tragically young?

SwankToliverA

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1397
Re: Why no Sugg?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 12:54:28 PM »
Kurt's not a great driver, he's not called Slugg for no reason.

Fuguzzi

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3104
Re: Why no Sugg?
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 12:56:02 PM »
Kurt's not a great driver, he's not called Slugg for no reason.
Agreed but there was a very good young driver who died many years ago, right? Cancer or something? And the old man could definitely rig one.

SwankToliverA

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1397
Re: Why no Sugg?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2023, 01:41:36 PM »
 Fuguzzi, his brother Steve is probably who you're thinking of.

Fuguzzi

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3104
Re: Why no Sugg?
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 01:47:32 PM »
Fuguzzi, his brother Steve is probably who you're thinking of.
I guess so. i do remember the old man, Ivan won the Jug  No pan Intended

Mailbox Money

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1231
Re: Why no Sugg?
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 02:50:55 PM »
Ivan is definitely gifted ! I would even say, one of the best still practicing the craft!

Open bridle

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 435
Re: Why no Sugg?
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2023, 02:55:57 PM »
Kurt has drove my horses before. I rate him a good county fair driver, but at the higher level races there are better choices.

Mailbox Money

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1231
Re: Why no Sugg?
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2023, 06:16:25 PM »
Duke is my vote between the two of them! I  don't know if he has diminished skills since the accident not to long ago, since I didn't see many Ohio fairs this summer. I  thought that he would be done driving after that. Kudos to him for putting in the effort it takes to return after an accident of that magnitude! tmbz1

wisha roder

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 315
Re: Why no Sugg?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2023, 10:58:50 AM »
Always looked like a hard worker with the horses and a pretty fair trainer.  I think he was kind of a family oriented stay around home type.  I would say he had a lot of natural talent with driving a trotter. He and McKirgan were the best trot drivers at Northfield.  I'm sure he's getting tired like the rest of us.

Fuguzzi

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3104
Re: Why no Sugg?
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2023, 11:03:46 AM »
Always looked like a hard worker with the horses and a pretty fair trainer.  I think he was kind of a family oriented stay around home type.  I would say he had a lot of natural talent with driving a trotter. He and McKirgan were the best trot drivers at Northfield.  I'm sure he's getting tired like the rest of us.
I was told by a mentor he was HOF talent ( Ivan) and that the family was indeed very tight.

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Trigger: Kirby goes to the dog park and steps in shit, how could he miss  ;D
    Today at 02:56:01 PM
  • Trigger: Prove it, produce those shitty shoes  ngc3 I'm not going anywhere  ngc3
    Today at 02:55:23 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: I scraped better off the bottom of my shoes after going to the dog park then what you have made of your life! So please continue showing us how big of a pile you are!
    Today at 02:53:21 PM
  • Trigger: He died 49 years ago so he molested you 59 years ago?  ngc3 Why do we have to be punished because someone played with your junk and stuck a finger in your butt?  ngc3  Grandpa Kirby  tmbz1 where was grandma, snapping polaroids  ngc3
    Today at 02:52:04 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: I would  ngc3 at yours but you're not worth it.
    Today at 02:49:32 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: Yeah. I hope everyone goes and reads on my thorobred section of what you did.
    Today at 02:48:56 PM
  • Trigger: RIP Grandpa Kirb  tmbz1
    Today at 02:47:58 PM
  • Kirby's Ace: One
    Today at 02:47:50 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal