Author Topic: Tracks you have been to  (Read 8973 times)

Sam R

• Elite
Re: Tracks you have been to
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2023, 12:04:47 PM »
One road trip that three of us took that comes to mind in light of recent doings started out on a Saturday night at Lewiston raceway. I hit the last race exacta that paid $104 for $4. Don Richards drove the winner. That was probably half of the pool on a winter night in Maine. We headed out to Canada for Sunday afternoon at Blue Bonnets. It started to snow and we got a flat tire and it is so dark in Maine at night that we could hardly see to change the tire. There are no highways between Lewiston and Montreal. We drove for hours and finally found a motel. We had to hit the road early to make afternoon post at Blue Bonnets. I think we drove through the tip of Vermont and finally got to the QE expressway (405). We got to the track just in time for post and I hit the first race winner driven by Bob Samson. I didn't hit much the rest of the day and I remember having to go to a cashier that changed American money $100 for Canadian $104.After the races we headed across from Montreal to Toronto and Greenwood for Monday's Racing after which we did Flamboro. The way home took us right past Buffalo and I know that was on Saint Paddy's day because the programs were printed in green.

Sam R

• Elite
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2023, 12:13:55 PM »
I would have loved to do the fair circuit but it's a long way from Brooklyn and the years went by so fast. My last trip to Maine was to race a trotter, Danzig, in an armature race at Bangor with Jim McGowan driving because we needed points for the final. He won of course and if I knew how I would post the picture.

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2023, 08:49:25 PM »
I would have loved to do the fair circuit but it's a long way from Brooklyn and the years went by so fast. My last trip to Maine was to race a trotter, Danzig, in an armature race at Bangor with Jim McGowan driving because we needed points for the final. He won of course and if I knew how I would post the picture.

We broke our two year olds at Seminole Downs in Altamont Springs, and Gator Downs in Jacksonville. Two years for both that ended with total lack of interest. In order to get stalls, I claimed several $500. claimers, both from Roy Saul.

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2023, 09:21:57 PM »

Sam is a good guy and I think the only track he didn't mention was Gator Downs. Sam and I had a conversation about ten years or more about The Alan Cantor thing concerning Royal Count N. We also spoke of a common friend named Danny Marks who is no longer with us. If Sam was standing in front of me, he would know exactly who I am as I was a notorious big bettor, however mostly on my own horses.

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2023, 09:59:16 PM »

Oops! Did anyone mention Latonia in Covington KY?

Sam R

• Elite
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2023, 07:50:23 AM »
Sam is a good guy and I think the only track he didn't mention was Gator Downs. Sam and I had a conversation about ten years or more about The Alan Cantor thing concerning Royal Count N. We also spoke of a common friend named Danny Marks who is no longer with us. If Sam was standing in front of me, he would know exactly who I am as I was a notorious big bettor, however mostly on my own horses.
I never got to Gator downs, I think that it was Florida downs, but I could be wrong. One of my regrets as is Georgetown in Delaware, Pimlico, Lincoln downs harness meet in Rhode Island that only lasted one meet and Suffolk downs harness in Beantown.I did race a horse at Seminole. Getaway Pick when he was 12 or 13.

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2023, 12:04:01 PM »
I never got to Gator downs, I think that it was Florida downs, but I could be wrong. One of my regrets as is Georgetown in Delaware, Pimlico, Lincoln downs harness meet in Rhode Island that only lasted one meet and Suffolk downs harness in Beantown.I did race a horse at Seminole. Getaway Pick when he was 12 or 13.

It was Gator Downs in Jax about an hour from our farm in Reddick. I couldn't see how anyone could survive on $250-$500. purses. Someone had a post that said "there really was aGator Downs and displayed a program although I think you can see it if you pull up Gator Downs.

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2023, 01:27:05 PM »
Has anyone here been to Phoenix Trotting Park or the harness track in New Orleans years back?

Jackie Mo

• Top Claimer
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2023, 03:02:26 PM »
Liberty Bell
Brandywine
Dover
Harrington
Garden St
Freehold
Meadowlands
Yonkers
Harrahs Chester
Rosecroft
Ocean Downs
Pompano

Tbred

Aqueduct
Belmont
Saratoga
Pimlico
Meadowlands
Atlantic City
Garden St
Parx
Gulfstream
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 03:05:29 PM by Jackie Mo »

Fuguzzi

• Elite
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2023, 03:04:18 PM »
Has anyone here been to Phoenix Trotting Park or the harness track in New Orleans years back?
My parents went to the Phoenix trotting park. Man that was ages ago...

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2023, 03:07:21 PM »
My parents went to the Phoenix trotting park. Man that was ages ago...

Was hoping someone would mention Dunnigan’s Phoenix track.

Sam R

• Elite
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2023, 03:36:31 PM »
It was Gator Downs in Jax about an hour from our farm in Reddick. I couldn't see how anyone could survive on $250-$500. purses. Someone had a post that said "there really was aGator Downs and displayed a program although I think you can see it if you pull up Gator Downs.
  I used to bet with a bookmaker, Al Pollack, that had trained horses at Gator. He called it Florida downs.

Sam R

• Elite
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2023, 03:44:51 PM »
Was hoping someone would mention Dunnigan’s Phoenix track.
Eddie Dunnigan once shipped a trotter for me from Vernon to Rideau. Crimson Hanover, he raced him drove him and in the winners circle which was knee deep slop offered me $10,000 to buy him but my firm price was $11,000.

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2023, 03:05:32 PM »
  I used to bet with a bookmaker, Al Pollack, that had trained horses at Gator. He called it Florida downs.

Just google Gator Downs harness.   tmbz1

kooter for hipin

• Open / FFA
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2023, 03:19:56 PM »
Allen "Bucky" Day

Was that the Bucky Day that was a second trainer for Eddie Cobb ?

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Calhoun: God Bless you, Uncle Jerry. Welcome back.
    Today at 11:34:09 AM
  • Unclejerry: Lets Move To Mohawk for final 3
    September 26, 2024, 09:52:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: R7 Flamboro another Superfecta $66.45
    September 26, 2024, 08:44:18 PM
  • Unclejerry: Uncle Jerry Gives out $115.10 Trifecta at Flamboro
    September 26, 2024, 08:07:12 PM
  • Unclejerry: Does anyone know a website where people talk and share actual bets?
    September 26, 2024, 07:57:21 PM
  • Unclejerry: Uncle Jerry just gave out a $156.20 Super in R1 at Flamboro
    September 26, 2024, 06:47:08 PM
  • London: Another fkn scumbag
    September 25, 2024, 05:31:08 PM
  • Passion: Frederick bourgault
    September 25, 2024, 04:03:04 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal