Author Topic: What does harness racing need---  (Read 21085 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Calhoun

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 16546
Re: What does harness racing need---
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2023, 07:26:35 PM »
At Pocono Downs, I don't think Mohegan Sun owns the race related property such as the track and the paddock and they don't own the gambling license which is why they can't dump racing.
I don't think that is correct.  I believe Mohegan
 Sun bought the track from Penn National in 2005 for $280 Million.

https://www.casinocitytimes.com/news/article/mohegan-sun-reports-mixed-results-150362

(8th, or so, bullet point)

Stan durbread

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2274
Re: What does harness racing need---
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2023, 07:50:49 PM »
That is not how it works in PA. The horse racing development fund is a tax on slots play. The government decides what the money is used for. PA has a bunch of stand alone casinos and the harness tracks are owned by the casino companies. PA has already tried to divert the money. They just need a few more votes in the legislature.
The newer stand alone casinos came later on and they all had to pay a huge licensing fee. If I remember right it was 100 million up front to even get started

rainman2

  • Living Legend
  • *******
  • Posts: 27328
Re: What does harness racing need---
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2023, 08:38:46 PM »
The newer stand alone casinos came later on and they all had to pay a huge licensing fee. If I remember right it was 100 million up front to even get started

Look what New York States charges for licensing fees!!  What a bargain!!
Horseplop isn’t a popularity contest!!

MIKE CAMPBELL

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 2851
Re: What does harness racing need---
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2023, 09:47:28 PM »
I don't think that is correct.  I believe Mohegan
 Sun bought the track from Penn National in 2005 for $280 Million.

https://www.casinocitytimes.com/news/article/mohegan-sun-reports-mixed-results-150362

(8th, or so, bullet point)
Maybe I got it wrong but the PHHA told me that Mohegan Sun owns everything but the actual track, paddock and gaming license. The grandstand, parking lot and surrounding property are all owned by Mohegan Sun.

Generation XYZ

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 3573
  • HARNESS RACING IS DEAD, CALL THE CORONER!
Re: What does harness racing need---
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2023, 11:06:05 PM »
Maybe I got it wrong but the PHHA told me that Mohegan Sun owns everything but the actual track, paddock and gaming license. The grandstand, parking lot and surrounding property are all owned by Mohegan Sun.

That sounds about right
Pay to Play, Play to Win!

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Trigger: I fucked up the 8th and 10th otherwise it's a string of dd-p5's oh well 8)
    October 10, 2026, 11:53:03 PM
  • JT: tmbz1..you slammed that card
    October 10, 2026, 11:42:23 PM
  • Trigger: ngc3 Hit that tri and dd
    October 10, 2026, 11:30:17 PM
  • Trigger: Mario J Baillargeon last race heavy favorite, drugged up and with a rocket jammed in his ass that pile of shit driver would struggle, from the 9 hole  ngc3  I bet Ratchford with the 1 beats the 9  ;D
    October 10, 2026, 11:13:01 PM
  • Trigger: JMac another biggie, a $33k and a $24k on a night woith nearly $3mil in purses  ngc3 King James, who couldn't find Hoosier yesterday when OOMM needed him the most  ngc3
    October 10, 2026, 10:40:57 PM
  • Trigger: Wherever BJ is bobble is nowhere to be found  ngc3 Canadians are so so so sensitive and sentimental  :-\
    October 10, 2026, 10:33:49 PM
  • JT: I think that wasn't shenanigans..just a piss poor decision  ngc3
    October 10, 2026, 10:33:22 PM
  • JT: Great battle upcoming in the breeders crown. Can't wait to witness it in person tmbz1..bucket list item..check ;D
    October 10, 2026, 10:27:00 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal