Author Topic: Southwind Amazon should be retired  (Read 3470 times)

Mrpick5

• NW-1
Southwind Amazon should be retired
« on: June 05, 2024, 11:07:48 PM »
Poor animal. Still being sent like he was in the open race when he was young and in his prime. He made over a million the hard way. And they still race him. What a disgrace. It’s obvious he’s had enough.

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
Re: Southwind Amazon should be retired
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 11:26:54 PM »
The ugly side of racing.

hot2trot

• Top Claimer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2024, 02:44:43 AM »
I haven’t been paying attention. Is he not competitive anymore? Has he had injuries?

Hay 4 sail

• 4 claimer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2024, 05:35:18 AM »
  He is doing what he likes to do. Always been front end type and your not going to change that at his age. He still looks sound I don't see any wrong racing him. Probably needs a break to freshen up. I love them old war horses there tough. Amazon and Holzman keep on keeping on  tmbz1

Harness racer

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2024, 05:42:17 AM »
Poor animal. Still being sent like he was in the open race when he was young and in his prime. He made over a million the hard way. And they still race him. What a disgrace. It’s obvious he’s had enough.

Several past topics on this same subject.  Horse hasn't been himself from 2 or 3 years minimum.  Not to say he isn't still capable of lower tier racing, just sad to see him at this level.  Old war horse is 14 now.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 05:43:57 AM by Harness racer »

Raging pace

• 4 claimer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2024, 08:28:15 AM »
Retire the poor horse and let him enjoy it. The horse made you over 1 million dollars,how much more do you want to make with him $25.000 maybe. Wouldn’t it be horrible if the poor horse takes a bad step and breaks a bone in his leg or foot and now you have to put him down. Is Holzman gonna work till he’s 80 ? Beat the poor horse up right until the end I guess. No brains and common sense apparently.

The Unstable

• 4 claimer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2024, 09:14:26 AM »
Several past topics on this same subject.  Horse hasn't been himself from 2 or 3 years minimum.  Not to say he isn't still capable of lower tier racing, just sad to see him at this level.  Old war horse is 14 now.

I hate defend Paul Holzman but the horse did make 75K last year. 

wiggles44

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2024, 10:52:29 AM »
  He is doing what he likes to do.
He told you this did he?
 :1

sledge hammer

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2024, 11:14:47 AM »
So he was a little short over the sloppy track, got beat 1/2 length overall. Wasn't great, but certainly wasn't a bad race where you would think 'my goodness he needs to retire'.

The Thorn

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2024, 11:41:09 AM »
Every interview I've ever seen with Holtzman over the past 3 years or more he has said that the horse loves to race.  It's all he's known for over ten years.  If he was sour on it everyone would know just by observation.  Let him race, he's happier doing it and soon enough there will be no choice but to retire .... unless they put him in Amateur races next year  ngc3

Harness racer

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2024, 12:24:45 PM »
So he was a little short over the sloppy track, got beat 1/2 length overall. Wasn't great, but certainly wasn't a bad race where you would think 'my goodness he needs to retire'.

Not the 3rd place effort people are talking about.  It's 3rd place in a bottom condition when he used to dominate the Opens.  If he's not sore, I personally don't care if he races.  Just takes away from his legacy.

The Thorn

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2024, 03:08:15 PM »
Don't know if a lifetime JFA or A1 horse has a legacy.  His was the most sub 50 miles on a half but that was kind of taken away when it was discovered that Northfield was short of a mile.  Lucky for him that no one will change the record books for that.

Bitter Truth

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2024, 03:15:51 PM »
I am handicapping Nfld's Sat card and it's very evident. Don't do much Nfld but I'd say it's
a sec and 4/5 to 2 sec and 1/5 slower on the times now. Charlie May didn't actually go 1:47 + change.

Laag

• Top Claimer
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2024, 04:27:22 PM »
Don't know if a lifetime JFA or A1 horse has a legacy.  His was the most sub 50 miles on a half but that was kind of taken away when it was discovered that Northfield was short of a mile.  Lucky for him that no one will change the record books for that.

what about  12 year old Dealt A Winner 147.3 winner of Cane Pace over Wiggle It Jiggle It with a few big FFA wins over the years and $1.5 million. Now racing in Ohio after stinking it up early this season in Pennslyvania. He has reeled off 3 straight in very low condition levels though

Hay 4 sail

• 4 claimer
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2024, 05:00:11 PM »
      Beaten favorite. If the mfr was 12-1 beat not a word would be mentioned. Sounds like someone lost there $2

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • M P: Incredible. Harness Racing survives off donations from the states. Breeds Standardbreds it trashes to kill pen. Then asks for more donations to save them. Can't make this shit up.
    Today at 07:54:43 PM
  • M P: I can prove you're on welfare. You cannot prove I am, because I'm not. Now stand in line for your soup.
    Today at 05:31:40 PM
  • Kole Hanover: MikeyP, does "harness welfare $" bother you, because you are on welfare yourself?
    Today at 01:46:19 PM
  • M P: Gaagoots: "Mark is also not taking a salary from the USTA like the others"
    Today at 04:57:14 AM
  • Cboyle: That teletimer had a family…
    June 30, 2024, 07:18:59 PM
  • Cboyle: That teletomer had a family
    June 30, 2024, 07:18:41 PM
  • Bernie Madoff: Vernon Bontrager
    June 29, 2024, 12:45:00 PM
  • fat albert: Bontrager
    June 28, 2024, 10:25:21 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal