Author Topic: NJ racing locked in through 2029!  (Read 1464 times)

wizardofoz

• Stakes Horse
NJ racing locked in through 2029!
« on: July 02, 2024, 07:44:47 PM »
New Jersey’s horse racing industry will receive a $20 million appropriation for purses as part of the state’s fiscal year 2025 budget signed recently by Gov. Phil Murphy. The appropriation will be divided equally between Standardbreds and Thoroughbreds. Funds allocated for Standardbred racing include money for overnight purses at the Meadowlands and Freehold, as well as for the New Jersey Sire Stakes and breeder awards. The state first introduced the purse appropriations in 2019. The initial legislation covered a five-year period, totaling $100 million, through 2023. The state renewed the funding for 2024. Last week, the state Senate and Assembly both approved legislation that would extend the appropriation annually through fiscal year 2029. That bill, which passed 76-0 in the Assembly and 40-0 in the Senate, has been sent to the governor for his signature.

M P

• Stakes Horse
Re: NJ racing locked in through 2029!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2024, 07:48:08 PM »
New Jersey’s horse racing industry will receive a $20 million appropriation for purses as part of the state’s fiscal year 2025 budget signed recently by Gov. Phil Murphy. The appropriation will be divided equally between Standardbreds and Thoroughbreds. Funds allocated for Standardbred racing include money for overnight purses at the Meadowlands and Freehold, as well as for the New Jersey Sire Stakes and breeder awards. The state first introduced the purse appropriations in 2019. The initial legislation covered a five-year period, totaling $100 million, through 2023. The state renewed the funding for 2024. Last week, the state Senate and Assembly both approved legislation that would extend the appropriation annually through fiscal year 2029. That bill, which passed 76-0 in the Assembly and 40-0 in the Senate, has been sent to the governor for his signature.

Welfare REJOICE!!!!  ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
Now tell that to this soul. Oh yeah, they don't have souls, they're just meat.

What's ironic is the industry that lives off donations creates animals it discards and then people ask for even more donations.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 07:51:06 PM by M P »

Kole Hanover

• Open / FFA
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2024, 06:59:16 AM »

What horses do you own?

Oh that's right, you have no skin in the game. Haven't put a cent into the business & has the nerve to talk about welfare.

It's so ironic, talking about equine $ welfare when you collect welfare $ yourself. (You're no better than the welfare horsemen you spout off at the gums about, Gingivitis & all).

Someone who puts over 100K into the game yearly, for years now, isn't hurting the sport. Buying yearlings & entering into partnerships to have some fun. That is what it's all about.

Youve tried to hurt/hinder the race game as much as you could, but  no one took/takes you seriously.

10x loser into every endeavour he's tried. Maybe a job is next?
*Those who whine & complain are washed up & dried out.*

M P

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2024, 07:08:05 AM »

What horses do you own?

Oh that's right, you have no skin in the game. Haven't put a cent into the business & has the nerve to talk about welfare.

It's so ironic, talking about equine $ welfare when you collect welfare $ yourself. (You're no better than the welfare horsemen you spout off at the gums about, Gingivitis & all).

Someone who puts over 100K into the game yearly, for years now, isn't hurting the sport. Buying yearlings & entering into partnerships to have some fun. That is what it's all about.

Youve tried to hurt/hinder the race game as much as you could, but  no one took/takes you seriously.

10x loser into every endeavour he's tried. Maybe a job is next?

Will you be on the Harness Racing Telethon?  ngc3

Harnessfan902

• Open / FFA
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2024, 08:52:14 PM »
Governor still hasn’t signed for beyond 2025.   Freehold is in trouble without the supplement

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2024, 09:54:27 PM »
are you suggesting it wont be signed
seems like a formality based on the vote

seen2much

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2024, 10:18:38 PM »
It is good for NJ. Racing means farms & green space.

Papillon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2024, 10:24:34 PM »
Governor still hasn’t signed for beyond 2025.   Freehold is in trouble without the supplement

freehold and M1 are a coupled entry

if funding isnt approved for freehold--then M1 goes away also because they get the cash from the same place

Grandstand Handicapper

• Open / FFA
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:30:03 AM »
Welfare REJOICE!!!!  ngc3 ngc3 ngc3
Now tell that to this soul. Oh yeah, they don't have souls, they're just meat.

What's ironic is the industry that lives off donations creates animals it discards and then people ask for even more donations.

This is your definition of welfare? Think about government entitlement (social) welfare and think about the monies the industry has received. If you see them as exactly the same thing, then in all due respect, I suggest for you check your motives, and try to let go of your own anger and hatred, just for a moment. Your motives of being pro-horse, animal rights, and so on, are valiant. However, you do so to the detriment of the same sport and industry you claim you are trying to help. It's cannibalistic. Your animosity is transparent. You pick on people who are part of the industry, who contribute, are part of the economy of the industry and you attack them personally and professionally. This one's a horse killer, that one is illegally doing this, this one has dumped illegal materials and contaminants, and so on and so on. Look, I get that you're not happy with your career, accomplishments, and stature in the sport and industry. I get that part of it is pro-animal and part is ego.

All the treatment you are getting from people, whether you are or not, a lot of it you bring onto yourself. I know you don't care. But your combative and adversarial nature is not good for anyone or anything. Your anger and resentment is like you are drinking poison and expecting your so called enemy to die. You could do some good for the sport, industry, and horses. You really need to find another way. Good luck.

M P

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:45:55 AM »
This is your definition of welfare? Think about government entitlement (social) welfare and think about the monies the industry has received. If you see them as exactly the same thing, then in all due respect, I suggest for you check your motives, and try to let go of your own anger and hatred, just for a moment. Your motives of being pro-horse, animal rights, and so on, are valiant. However, you do so to the detriment of the same sport and industry you claim you are trying to help. It's cannibalistic. Your animosity is transparent. You pick on people who are part of the industry, who contribute, are part of the economy of the industry and you attack them personally and professionally. This one's a horse killer, that one is illegally doing this, this one has dumped illegal materials and contaminants, and so on and so on. Look, I get that you're not happy with your career, accomplishments, and stature in the sport and industry. I get that part of it is pro-animal and part is ego.

All the treatment you are getting from people, whether you are or not, a lot of it you bring onto yourself. I know you don't care. But your combative and adversarial nature is not good for anyone or anything. Your anger and resentment is like you are drinking poison and expecting your so called enemy to die. You could do some good for the sport, industry, and horses. You really need to find another way. Good luck.

Are you inferring I care what people say about me? By their response I know what I am saying is fact. I'm the first from within to call it out. Facts, the industry survives off donations. It creates a living being to use as the vehicle to distribute the donations. In the end it disposes of the living creatures it created like trash. Then has the audacity to cry foul and ask for even more to save what it tossed away. The lectures don't work with me. I call it like it is. And it's a disgrace. Your response proves to me you are no different than a Mark Ford who just puts a bullet in their heads to make them "go away". Even worse is when I find them in Central Park in pain and abandoned, if you actually care about STANDARDBREDS it's crushing. The horses should ALWAYS come first.  tmbz1
« Last Edit: Today at 06:48:41 AM by M P »

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: Today at 07:46:10 AM »
If memory serves my well, the subsidies were originally performance based with specific benchmarks to be reached for renewal. The tracks and other stakeholders needed to prove goals were met with regards to growing the business. Have these benchmarks been met? If so, where is the proof?

M P

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: Today at 09:19:07 AM »
If memory serves my well, the subsidies were originally performance based with specific benchmarks to be reached for renewal. The tracks and other stakeholders needed to prove goals were met with regards to growing the business. Have these benchmarks been met? If so, where is the proof?

For over a decade in NYS nearly each track never submitted their yearly audits to the state. If you were watching I brought this up early last year. Remember suddenly Joe Faraldo was finding "missing money" and blaming Yonkers? Connect the dots.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:20:46 AM by M P »

wizardofoz

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: Today at 09:43:57 AM »
Impact of the Annual Purse Subsidy from the State of New Jersey from 2019 (year one) - 2024 (year five) on Indicators of Metrics of the Breeding Industry, the NJ Sire Stakes Program, and the Quality of the Racing Product as Defined by Wagering on New Jersey Races:Karyn Malinowski, Ph.D. :Professor and Director, Rutgers Equine Science Center :The continued annual commitment of $20 million by the State of New Jersey to supplement purses and breeding incentive programs for Jersey Bred and Sire Stakes horses in New Jersey has been successful. The legislation supplies the racing and breeding programs with $20 million a year for five years (now in its fifth year), split equally between Thoroughbreds and Standardbreds, and the payments could be extended if the industry meets benchmarks of increased breeding, training, and other equine activities demonstrating a turnaround of the industry in the state.  In 2021, the total live wagering handle at New Jersey’s three racetracks was $27.2 million. This represents a 78 percent increase from the total live wagering handle in 2020, which was $15.3 million. Monmouth Park's total live handle in 2021 was $14.2 million representing an 88 percent increase from Monmouth Park's 2020 live wagering handle of $7.6 million. Thoroughbred racing at the Meadowlands' total live handle in 2021 was $381,000 representing a 287 percent increase from thoroughbred racing at the Meadowlands' 2020 live wagering handle of $98,400. Harness racing at the Meadowlands' 2021 live wagering handle was $9.4 million representing a 74 percent increase from the Meadowlands' 2020 live wagering handle of $5.4 million. Freehold Raceway's 2021 fall meet live wagering handle was $1.4 million, representing a 2 percent increase from Freehold's 2020 fall meet live wagering handle of about $1.4 million. Freehold Raceway's 2021 spring meet live wagering handle was $1.9 million representing a 104 percent increase from Freehold's 2020 spring meet live wagering handle of $913,000. In 2021, the total intrastate simulcasting handle was $8.1 million, representing a 7 percent increase from the 2020 intrastate wagering handle of $7.6 million. In 2021, the total interstate simulcasting handle was $171 million, representing a 48 percent increase from the 2020 interstate wagering handle of $116 million. In 2021, the total off-track and account wagering handle was $390.9 million, representing a 1 percent increase over the 2020 total off-track and account wagering handle of $386.9 million. Account wagering accounts for $279.8 million of this 2021 handle, a decrease of 10 percent from the 2020 account wagering handle of $311 million. Off-track wagering accounts for $111.1 million of the 2021 handle, an increase of 46 percent from the 2020 off-track wagering handle of $76 million.  These numbers demonstrate the turnaround horsemen were looking for from the commitment by the State. In addition, because of the state incentives, the number of Standardbred stallions standing in New Jersey has remained steady and number of mares bred increased from 442 and foals registered from 272 in 2019 to 729 mares bred and 488 foals registered in 2022: an increase of 69 percent and 80 percent, respectively.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:53:20 AM by wizardofoz »

M P

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #13 on: Today at 10:20:27 AM »
Impact of the Annual Purse Subsidy from the State of New Jersey from 2019 (year one) - 2024 (year five) on Indicators of Metrics of the Breeding Industry, the NJ Sire Stakes Program, and the Quality of the Racing Product as Defined by Wagering on New Jersey Races:Karyn Malinowski, Ph.D. :Professor and Director, Rutgers Equine Science Center :The continued annual commitment of $20 million by the State of New Jersey to supplement purses and breeding incentive programs for Jersey Bred and Sire Stakes horses in New Jersey has been successful. The legislation supplies the racing and breeding programs with $20 million a year for five years (now in its fifth year), split equally between Thoroughbreds and Standardbreds, and the payments could be extended if the industry meets benchmarks of increased breeding, training, and other equine activities demonstrating a turnaround of the industry in the state.  In 2021, the total live wagering handle at New Jersey’s three racetracks was $27.2 million. This represents a 78 percent increase from the total live wagering handle in 2020, which was $15.3 million. Monmouth Park's total live handle in 2021 was $14.2 million representing an 88 percent increase from Monmouth Park's 2020 live wagering handle of $7.6 million. Thoroughbred racing at the Meadowlands' total live handle in 2021 was $381,000 representing a 287 percent increase from thoroughbred racing at the Meadowlands' 2020 live wagering handle of $98,400. Harness racing at the Meadowlands' 2021 live wagering handle was $9.4 million representing a 74 percent increase from the Meadowlands' 2020 live wagering handle of $5.4 million. Freehold Raceway's 2021 fall meet live wagering handle was $1.4 million, representing a 2 percent increase from Freehold's 2020 fall meet live wagering handle of about $1.4 million. Freehold Raceway's 2021 spring meet live wagering handle was $1.9 million representing a 104 percent increase from Freehold's 2020 spring meet live wagering handle of $913,000. In 2021, the total intrastate simulcasting handle was $8.1 million, representing a 7 percent increase from the 2020 intrastate wagering handle of $7.6 million. In 2021, the total interstate simulcasting handle was $171 million, representing a 48 percent increase from the 2020 interstate wagering handle of $116 million. In 2021, the total off-track and account wagering handle was $390.9 million, representing a 1 percent increase over the 2020 total off-track and account wagering handle of $386.9 million. Account wagering accounts for $279.8 million of this 2021 handle, a decrease of 10 percent from the 2020 account wagering handle of $311 million. Off-track wagering accounts for $111.1 million of the 2021 handle, an increase of 46 percent from the 2020 off-track wagering handle of $76 million.  These numbers demonstrate the turnaround horsemen were looking for from the commitment by the State. In addition, because of the state incentives, the number of Standardbred stallions standing in New Jersey has remained steady and number of mares bred increased from 442 and foals registered from 272 in 2019 to 729 mares bred and 488 foals registered in 2022: an increase of 69 percent and 80 percent, respectively.

Increases after 2020? The Covid year. Sounds like when Biden says he created jobs.   ngc3
« Last Edit: Today at 10:31:27 AM by M P »

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #14 on: Today at 10:26:57 AM »
Nice work, Wiz. They must think everyone is stupid. The base year/years for comparison is the closed pandemic years. Nothing about years 2022 and  2023.
Granted, the breeding business has improved greatly. The Sire Stakes program, as well. But where is the data on live attendance and live handle exclusive of the pandemic era?
 They only thing this data proves is; NJ harness racing is no more popular and in demand as sporting or entertainment choice than before the subsidies. I am quite sure it would show a continues down turn if all the factual information was supplied. Secondly, the information conclusively shows, horse racing and breeding is not a viable business in New Jersey without government handouts.   

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Mazola: Can't stay logged in ffs
    Today at 06:07:21 PM
  • M P: Incredible. Harness Racing survives off donations from the states. Breeds Standardbreds it trashes to kill pen. Then asks for more donations to save them. Can't make this shit up.
    July 02, 2024, 07:54:43 PM
  • M P: I can prove you're on welfare. You cannot prove I am, because I'm not. Now stand in line for your soup.
    July 02, 2024, 05:31:40 PM
  • Kole Hanover: MikeyP, does "harness welfare $" bother you, because you are on welfare yourself?
    July 02, 2024, 01:46:19 PM
  • M P: Gaagoots: "Mark is also not taking a salary from the USTA like the others"
    July 02, 2024, 04:57:14 AM
  • Cboyle: That teletimer had a family…
    June 30, 2024, 07:18:59 PM
  • Cboyle: That teletomer had a family
    June 30, 2024, 07:18:41 PM
  • Bernie Madoff: Vernon Bontrager
    June 29, 2024, 12:45:00 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal