Author Topic: How many harness trainers switch to Thoroughbreds?  (Read 2845 times)

TimTimTimbo

• Stakes Horse
How many harness trainers switch to Thoroughbreds?
« on: July 11, 2024, 02:46:25 PM »
I know Barry Abrams did. I met him in the 80's when we were selling horses over here from NZ. I aways remember him telling me not to sell horses to a few certain trainers as they were crooks.

Years later I went to Santa Anita and he spotted me and told me to bet his horse which won at 11-1

I ask because Mark Purdon has left his son in charge of his training operation and moved back to the North Island to a place called Matamata (Maori name) where they are mostly all gallopers that race there.

He is taking Oscar Bonavena who he co-owns with Chris Ryder with him to stand at stud and race. He's a very fast son of Majestic Son who I would loved for him to come over here. Also with him is his champion mare Millwood Nike, a daughter of Captain Treacherous and is unbeaten in 17 starts.  She has been off since 2023 with a 10 percent tear in her tendon but is back in training.

Those are the only two because he now has a bunch of thoroughbreds he owns and is transitioning to them.  Huge purses in Aussie and NZ for them. I just saw a NZ mare who died while foaling and she won 15 million dollars and 11 Grade 1 races.

I know that crook Monte Gelrod was into gallopers but was wondering what others did this?

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
  • Which wolf wins? The one you feed.
Re: How many harness trainers switch to Thoroughbreds?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2024, 02:58:34 PM »
Bill Robinson tried it. Didn't go anywhere. Monte Gelrod tried and got a positive test before the ink on his license was even dry, LOL. A few of the somewhat bigger or more well known were Barry Abrams, Lou Meittinis, Robert Levine, Jerry Procino, Don Swick, and Norm McKnight. I would say Norm has been the most successful. He's done very well with the t-breds. Manny Ycaza went the other way and tried harness racing as a driver. He just never really got into it. Francis Raia did both for a long time, and still was as of about 4 or 5 years ago. Then of course there was Yannick Gingras!!! LOL.

Miguel_Sanchez

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 03:08:23 PM »
Bill Robinson tried it. Didn't go anywhere. Monte Gelrod tried and got a positive test before the ink on his license was even dry, LOL. A few of the somewhat bigger or more well known were Barry Abrams, Lou Meittinis, Robert Levine, Jerry Procino, Don Swick, and Norm McKnight. I would say Norm has been the most successful. He's done very well with the t-breds. Manny Ycaza went the other way and tried harness racing as a driver. He just never really got into it. Francis Raia did both for a long time, and still was as of about 4 or 5 years ago. Then of course there was Yannick Gingras!!! LOL.

Wait a minute Yannick has t-breds or trains them?

Papillon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2024, 04:22:11 PM »
Anthony Quartarolo went from standardbred to tbred

small operation only has a handful of horses on the NYRA circuit
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 04:42:28 PM by Papillon »

Papillon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2024, 04:24:08 PM »

Norm McKnight has had a few positives, but a very high winning percentage

Equus Caballus

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2024, 04:32:46 PM »
Better yet, how many Thoroughbred trainers have tried their hand at Standardbreds?

Chad Brown started hands on with horses while in vet school working for Paul Kelly at Saratoga. Now he is on top of the world.

pylon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2024, 04:33:12 PM »
A guy named Robert Warner had some success racing standardbreds in Ontario a few decades back,,,,,now has a small stable  racing Tbreds at Fort Erie Ontario

Miguel_Sanchez

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2024, 04:44:31 PM »
Every Standardbred Trainer I know of that has tried has failed miserably.  Totally different animal. 

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse

dougie

• Open / FFA
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2024, 05:11:40 PM »
Quartarolo just won the 8th at Saratoga at 3-1! Horse stalked then took lead and pulled away.

Papillon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2024, 05:11:55 PM »
Anthony Q just won race 8 at The Spa

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2024, 05:23:18 PM »
Correct on Gerry Procino.  Also, I believe Tom Agosti and the late Joe Sarago from Buffalo Raceway made the attempt.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2024, 05:24:45 PM »
A friend of mine in the t-bred game claimed one from Jerry Procino at Gulfstream. This had to be 20 years ago or so. He did so well with the horse he kept looking to claim more from him, LOL.

Facts

• 4 claimer
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2024, 06:43:42 PM »
I know Barry Abrams did. I met him in the 80's when we were selling horses over here from NZ. I aways remember him telling me not to sell horses to a few certain trainers as they were crooks.

Years later I went to Santa Anita and he spotted me and told me to bet his horse which won at 11-1

I ask because Mark Purdon has left his son in charge of his training operation and moved back to the North Island to a place called Matamata (Maori name) where they are mostly all gallopers that race there.

He is taking Oscar Bonavena who he co-owns with Chris Ryder with him to stand at stud and race. He's a very fast son of Majestic Son who I would loved for him to come over here. Also with him is his champion mare Millwood Nike, a daughter of Captain Treacherous and is unbeaten in 17 starts.  She has been off since 2023 with a 10 percent tear in her tendon but is back in training.

Those are the only two because he now has a bunch of thoroughbreds he owns and is transitioning to them.  Huge purses in Aussie and NZ for them. I just saw a NZ mare who died while foaling and she won 15 million dollars and 11 Grade 1 races.

I know that crook Monte Gelrod was into gallopers but was wondering what others did this?

Lol poor Monte just can’t help him self

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • dougie: Old and tired, i still feel bad about Freehold closing.
    September 19, 2024, 12:47:09 PM
  • Papillon: changing diapers together
    September 05, 2024, 03:48:50 PM
  • Minjae: Where are Jen Bongiorno and the white knight?
    September 05, 2024, 12:28:36 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Sure was a gift, Dougie. I was happy to see him race, and win
    August 31, 2024, 04:11:00 PM
  • dougie: 2-1 0n Charlie May was a gift!!!!!
    August 31, 2024, 11:49:19 AM
  • Demples: Binkley
    August 29, 2024, 05:42:52 AM
  • Albatross77: I hope he goes down fucking hard!!
    August 28, 2024, 01:19:35 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: You better pray good boy!
    August 25, 2024, 11:56:30 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal