Author Topic: How many harness trainers switch to Thoroughbreds?  (Read 2848 times)

comeonman

• Stakes Horse
Re: How many harness trainers switch to Thoroughbreds?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2024, 06:56:58 PM »
   .....dave pickney     per henriksen.....gar y contessa....alan sewwald.... all from harness to t breds

TimTimTimbo

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2024, 09:38:59 PM »
Thanks, Quite a few.

I know one of NZ's best thoroughbred trainers went into harness as well. He has trained over 5,000 winners on the T-bred side and over 500 in harness.

He trains both currently

SDST2009

• Open / FFA
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2024, 10:22:49 PM »
Bob Inman. Isn't Jimmy T dabbling (or was dabbling) in TBs?

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
  • Which wolf wins? The one you feed.
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2024, 10:50:38 PM »
Bob Inman. Isn't Jimmy T dabbling (or was dabbling) in TBs?

Jimmy, Phil Antonacci, and the Antonacci family, and Dave Reid from PEM are "dabbling" so to speak.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2024, 11:00:09 PM »
Bill Robinson actually got a t-bred or two. I don't remember if he was on suspension or what. He had some very opinionated views on t-breds. I think he said they were undertrained, under-exercised, not as fit as they should be, and overfed. Whatever it was, it was very outspoken. Not hard to believe with Bill. LOL. You always knew where he stood.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse

JOHN FRANK

• Elite
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2024, 11:18:55 PM »
You really didn't say that did you. NORM MCKNIGHT had a few positives. OH MY: The man was called MR.POSITIVE for years. Now He went from Upper ponies to low class claimers. Think I member his main owner at time. BRUNO SHADINSKY or somethin like that. Even he bailed from him. They were a racket at WOODBINE years ago. Bruno in states mostly these days with cheap claimers.
JOHN FRANK ARMY wishes both the best. THE GLORY DAYS are GONE.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2024, 08:25:57 AM »
You really didn't say that did you. NORM MCKNIGHT had a few positives. OH MY: The man was called MR.POSITIVE for years. Now He went from Upper ponies to low class claimers. Think I member his main owner at time. BRUNO SHADINSKY or somethin like that. Even he bailed from him. They were a racket at WOODBINE years ago. Bruno in states mostly these days with cheap claimers.
JOHN FRANK ARMY wishes both the best. THE GLORY DAYS are GONE.

Schickedanz.....B runo Schickedanz. In the states mostly? Cheap claimers? Bruno Schickedanz won the Sovereign Award for the leading/winning owner in Canada last year. He won the leading owner title at the Woodbine meet, Fort Erie, and Gulfstream Park.....and to top it off.....finished as the leading owner by wins in North America.....First in wins in North America.....and 6th in earnings at just under $4mm.

As far as Norm, he was brought into the t-breds by Lou Donato.

halfinhalfout

• 4 claimer
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2024, 10:47:27 AM »
Purnell Jones jumped in before any of the aforementioned... .used to race the Liberty Bell, Brandywine circuit.....Kenny McNutt
drove for him as did Vern Crank and Ross Hayter.  He went over to Delaware Park and tried making a go with the runners...mixed results

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2024, 11:33:07 AM »
I think Don Swick is still training t-breds. Not sure.

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2024, 01:35:17 PM »
Purnell Jones jumped in before any of the aforementioned... .used to race the Liberty Bell, Brandywine circuit.....Kenny McNutt
drove for him as did Vern Crank and Ross Hayter.  He went over to Delaware Park and tried making a go with the runners...mixed results

Purnell was also a Delaware state track star in high school.

BoKnows

• Top Claimer
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2024, 09:55:04 PM »
Johnny Campo went from TBreds to harness

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2024, 12:27:48 AM »
Johnny Campo went from TBreds to harness

My dad knew him pretty well. I kind of remember him downsizing and retiring, but he had a pretty bad stroke. I don't remember anything about harness racing though. My dad went to a birthday party for him a few years after. He said he was in a wheelchair and couldn't talk much, but when he saw Bobby Frankel and Nick Zito, his face lit up. They both worked for him when they started out. I remember his one son never took to working in the barn and he ended up becoming race secretary for NYRA. Today he's Javier Castellano's agent. The other son was a smaller version of his dad. He died a couple of years ago after a liver failure wasn't successful. A classic NY'er through and through.

The Exporter

• Elite
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2024, 07:53:51 AM »
Jonny Campo's big horse was Pleasant Colony. He won The Derby and the Preakness. When the got home to NY for the Belmont and possibly a Triple Crown, the New York media was having a field day with John Campo. As said, he was a classic New Yorker. The Blue Bloods had their nose out of joint with all the attention this short, heavy set, cigar chomping street talking man commanded. It was a lot of fun to watch. Yet, I don't recall him ever racing harness.
 I was at Finger Lakes when Johnny jr. and Oscar Berrara came up with their fathers cripples. They did no god there.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 07:56:42 AM by The Exporter »

Papillon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2024, 10:37:42 AM »
Jonny Campo's big horse was Pleasant Colony. He won The Derby and the Preakness. When the got home to NY for the Belmont and possibly a Triple Crown, the New York media was having a field day with John Campo. As said, he was a classic New Yorker. The Blue Bloods had their nose out of joint with all the attention this short, heavy set, cigar chomping street talking man commanded. It was a lot of fun to watch. Yet, I don't recall him ever racing harness.
 I was at Finger Lakes when Johnny jr. and Oscar Berrara came up with their fathers cripples. They did no god there.

Pleasant Colony was a game 3rd to Summing and Highland Blade, but never looked like a winner at any point.

https://youtu.be/oU6mV_xZgMQ?si=B6H-fnuBugpw90wL
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 10:41:17 AM by Papillon »

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • dougie: Old and tired, i still feel bad about Freehold closing.
    September 19, 2024, 12:47:09 PM
  • Papillon: changing diapers together
    September 05, 2024, 03:48:50 PM
  • Minjae: Where are Jen Bongiorno and the white knight?
    September 05, 2024, 12:28:36 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Sure was a gift, Dougie. I was happy to see him race, and win
    August 31, 2024, 04:11:00 PM
  • dougie: 2-1 0n Charlie May was a gift!!!!!
    August 31, 2024, 11:49:19 AM
  • Demples: Binkley
    August 29, 2024, 05:42:52 AM
  • Albatross77: I hope he goes down fucking hard!!
    August 28, 2024, 01:19:35 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: You better pray good boy!
    August 25, 2024, 11:56:30 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal