Author Topic: How did you-----  (Read 2511 times)

rainman2

• Elite
How did you-----
« on: July 18, 2024, 11:32:11 PM »
get involved in harness racing?

As for myself, my friend's dad owned a few $ 4000 claimers at Buffalo Raceway circa 1977.  The horse raced 2 weeks after the blizzard of 1977 and a very muddy track as the snow was melting.  My 1st time to the track as a 13-year-old.  The horse's name was Raise Hobb.  Trained and driven by Lon Rosenfeld.  The horse was a notorious puller at would stop in the stretch every week.  This night he didn't stop.  Won by a diminishing neck in 2.13.0 on a muddy track and paid 10 and change.  From there, I followed and did some small-time betting.  I moved to Fort Lauderdale and got acquainted with Pompano Park [RIP now].  Pushed quite a few dollars through the windows, and in 2004, I started my ownership experience with a 4k claimer {mare}.  Lost some money, had a lot of fun, and made many new friends (many still to this day), and learned ownership from the bottom up. I had a very small-time trainer who gave me this opportunity.  The mare was bred and my 1 and only experience with this and the horse was 3rd to Sweet Lou in a PASS Sires Stakes at 2.  My trainer for this experience and my horses that followed is a very respected horseman with now 50+ years in the business.  I have had the opportunity to play a rich man's game on a little guy's wallet.  I am very grateful to him for giving me this opportunity of a lifetime and currently enjoying it today. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 02:26:38 AM by rainman2 »

goblue

• Top Claimer
Re: How did you-----
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 12:02:47 AM »
Great question! Would love to see what you guys have to say

shaniaube

• Top Claimer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024, 06:54:41 AM »
Brewers School of Harness Racing

Harness racer

• Elite
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2024, 07:38:04 AM »
50 cent beers in simulcast area at Dover Downs when it was on the third floor.  😂
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 07:39:41 AM by Harness racer »

Kirbys Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2024, 08:54:01 AM »
50 cent beers in simulcast area at Dover Downs when it was on the third floor.  😂

tmbz1
Back by popular demand!

Muncie

• NW-1
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2024, 11:14:24 AM »
Was going to a grocery store on 43rd & Pulaski in Chicago sometime around 1983. Picked up a black chick who was hitchhiking in my direction.  She said if you take me to Sportsmans park I’ll give you a blow job.  I said sure so I drove to Sportsmans, she took care of business in the parking lot and went inside and bet the races.  Ever since that day, I was immediately hooked……………………….. on blow jobs.  ngc3

SwankToliverA

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2024, 11:48:10 AM »
Was going to a grocery store on 43rd & Pulaski in Chicago sometime around 1983. Picked up a black chick who was hitchhiking in my direction.  She said if you take me to Sportsmans park I’ll give you a blow job.  I said sure so I drove to Sportsmans, she took care of business in the parking lot and went inside and bet the races.  Ever since that day, I was immediately hooked……………………….. on blow jobs.  ngc3

I actually know a black chick who gave BJs for rides to the track or OTB.   ngc3

Muncie

• NW-1
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2024, 11:22:20 AM »
I actually know a black chick who gave BJs for rides to the track or OTB.   ngc3
tmbz1

bestbetter

• Open / FFA
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2024, 12:45:17 PM »
I used to live right down the street from Hazel Park. I used to get programs from people walking out and sell them to people walking in. I also sold peanuts and worked at "Stellas" parking waving cars in. My step dad owned a couple  harness horses.

Legal Larry K

• 4 claimer
  • Ohioian
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2024, 08:00:30 PM »
ITS A STUPID BUSINESS PERIOD. WISH I NEVER INVESTED A QUARTER OR EVER BET ON ONE.  I GOT SUCKED IN WITH RYAN ANDERSON IN CHICAGO WITH JOHN LEAHY. BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE. LOST EVERYTHING WHILE LITTLE JOE WAS WINNING EVERYTHING. EXPLAIN THAT TO ME??
Scioto blows hoosier away

Mazola

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2024, 08:02:09 PM »
ITS A STUPID BUSINESS PERIOD. WISH I NEVER INVESTED A QUARTER OR EVER BET ON ONE.  I GOT SUCKED IN WITH RYAN ANDERSON IN CHICAGO WITH JOHN LEAHY. BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE. LOST EVERYTHING WHILE LITTLE JOE WAS WINNING EVERYTHING. EXPLAIN THAT TO ME??

You explain it.

pylon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2024, 09:55:36 AM »
my late father went to the Tbreds regularly and as a kid i tagged along on Saturdays... no Sunday racing way back then in Ontario....when i got out of high school i was looking for something to do in the summer during evening hours...i vaguely knew about Harness Racing and they raced at night with those "miniture chariots"..so i went one night to Greenwood Racetrack.....see ing horses up close. under the lights, was different,,, and i was immediatly hooked...3/4 years later i got into ownership with cheap claimers....durin g my 20,s an 30,s harness racing was my entire life..........but when i got married and bought my 1st house harness Racing took a back seat..........i used to bet with both fists but now only on occasion......... still a fan but not as passionate as i once was

Papillon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2024, 10:10:50 AM »
Growing up in the Delaware Valley, i would tag along with my father--we would go to Liberty Bell and Brandywine back in the days Eddie Davis and Ross Hayter dominated

did plenty of double headers Keystone/Liberty Bell

The sunday nights at Brandywine were special--a great time for harness racing

Witnessing Niatross up close and in person at both tracks is something i will never forget

Deke63

• NW-1
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2024, 10:31:51 AM »
same here, i really miss Brandywine, so many good times in 70's and 80's,  and yes Sundays were awesome, we would plan our trips home from DE shore to hit Brandywine on the way

carl baldwin

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2024, 08:48:21 PM »
I seen her at Sportsmans before her name was "Racetrack
Rosie".

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • dougie: Old and tired, i still feel bad about Freehold closing.
    Today at 12:47:09 PM
  • Papillon: changing diapers together
    September 05, 2024, 03:48:50 PM
  • Minjae: Where are Jen Bongiorno and the white knight?
    September 05, 2024, 12:28:36 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Sure was a gift, Dougie. I was happy to see him race, and win
    August 31, 2024, 04:11:00 PM
  • dougie: 2-1 0n Charlie May was a gift!!!!!
    August 31, 2024, 11:49:19 AM
  • Demples: Binkley
    August 29, 2024, 05:42:52 AM
  • Albatross77: I hope he goes down fucking hard!!
    August 28, 2024, 01:19:35 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: You better pray good boy!
    August 25, 2024, 11:56:30 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal