Author Topic: Interesting story on Charlie May debacle (Big M, The Pace)_  (Read 2544 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TimTimTimbo

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1351
https://harnesslink.com/usa/fwd-mane-three-years-charlie-072124/


An interesting “twist” in the hearings developed a few months later when there was a regional meeting of racing officials and a new rule was proposed, agreed upon and adopted known as the “Charlie May Rule,” providing that race officials to interview as many drivers as possible and other involved before a decision is made final; on any outcome.

Yet another Judge was summoned for testimony, and he affirmed without doubt that Charlie May was off stride with others making breaks.


Judges Down Under always interview other drivers in the race if need be.


Speaking about judges Down Under

Years ago (over 30) I bet a horse coming off a long layoff with back problems. They had a chiropractor working on him.  After a 6-month layoff, he was in to race on a holiday weekend on Saturday and then back two days later. Back then many horses raced both days.

The trainer told me he was ready to go and to bet on him. The race was over 2400 meters (1 mile and a half), so I bet 200 to win and place and a 200 quinella with the 2nd favorite, who was 5-1.  Everything was great and halfway down the straight he was third over and he pulled him off the back of the horse in front of him and flew down the outside, with 100 yards to go, he started trotting roughly and it was a slow-motion train wreck happening. He went offside 50 yard from the finish when he had taken the lead and galloped over the wire and won by a nose.

Over there at the time, it was certain that he was going to be relegated but I was hopeful that would put him back to 2nd as there was 6 lengths back to the 3rd horse. I knew one of the 3 judges and I said, "If U R going to relegate him, put him 2nd and he said, "We will see, I see your point, but you need to realize I am not the chief Judge and U know his record".  Of course, the 3 judges voted 2-1 to put him back to last.

Had he been left in 2nd, I would have got the quinella 200 times $32.00.  Over there at the time, they put up the provisional payoffs before an inquiry was resolved, the horse was paying $12.00 for each dollar.  Over 9,000 I got effed out of.

Being the degenerate gambler I was back then, He was in to go Monday over a longer distance, so I wrote a bad check for $2,000 and stuck it on him.  He won by 5 lengths, easy and paid $4.50 for each dollar.  I went back to the race Secretary and got my bad check back. He had asked me if the check was good when I gave it to him before the race and I said, "Don't bank it until Tuesday, LOL.  I had my own horse racing in the open trot the following week, so he knew me well. When I gave him the bad check he called the cashier up and said "give him 2,000" That experience was quite nerve-wracking because I had dropped over 4 grand on the Saturday after looking like winning $9,000 on the horse on that Saturday.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 02:19:59 PM by TimTimTimbo »

goblue

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 284
Re: Interesting story on Charlie May debacle (Big M, The Pace)_
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2024, 02:36:15 PM »
That article is terribly written

So much fluff and unnecessary imagery that it's impossible to understand what the article is even about

Swandre

  • Top Claimer
  • ***
  • Posts: 241
Re: Interesting story on Charlie May debacle (Big M, The Pace)_
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2024, 05:18:30 PM »
we were robbed of Charlie May in the Little Brown Jug due to incompetent judges in New Jersey

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Trigger: G let's meet up soon I want to show you the trunk of my car, you're going to love it!  ;D
    Today at 10:13:57 AM
  • Trigger: Ant liked anyone that also hated, blacks,jews, hispanics etc  ngc3
    Today at 10:13:10 AM
  • G: Mike/trigger should be ashamed of himself
    Today at 10:12:40 AM
  • dougie: I read yesterday he didn't like Blacks, Jews, Hispanics, etc. Was there anyone he liked?
    Today at 10:10:33 AM
  • Trigger: His wifey was the racing sec at Hawthorne, his bs got too close to home, pussy or plop, he chose vagina  ngc3
    Today at 10:09:43 AM
  • dougie: I don't think I ever chatted with  "Ant". Was he banned?
    Today at 10:07:57 AM
  • G: Sweet: Ant would wish your daughters raped by a bunch of niggers then set on fire...I miss him so much!   ngc3  Sweet: Where's MikeAnt when you need him  ngc3  shout out  Sound off ! Sweet: Ant would wish your daughters raped by a bunch of niggers then set on fire...I miss him so much!  ngc3 Today at 10:01:24 AM Sweet: Where's MikeAnt when you need him  ngc3 Today at 09:59:54 AM  Mike/Sweet you criticize racism? You really should be ashamed of yourself
    Today at 09:55:56 AM
  • Trigger: If G saw the trunk of my car he'd fall in love with it!  ;D
    Today at 09:11:21 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal