Author Topic: Friday Night Meadowlands  (Read 2184 times)

Gaagoots

• Elite
Re: Friday Night Meadowlands
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2024, 02:42:23 PM »
Mike, You know it's over. It will never be like it was in the 70's and 80's. Just the conflicts of interest alone make Harness Racing like Pro Wrestling.
I couldn't agree more Mike. Campbell- O'Donnell -Remmen -Cat -ect!

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2024, 03:00:41 PM »
The Meadowlands Friday cards are no more than low-grade B tracks horses racing there. Years ago the lowest class they would even consider is $15,000. They had $150,000 claimers and horse were claimed. Now I see a $4,000 claimer win there and even saw 68.5 TM races. It tells where the sport is and is going. A few very wealthy outfits dominate the better races and the lower class gets cheaper and cheaper. Curious what is looks like in 5 years. Sad but so true

Try 200k—250k claimers back in the day!!

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2024, 04:17:53 PM »
I couldn't agree more Mike. Campbell- O'Donnell -Remmen -Cat -ect!
tmbz1 tmbz1

Whatchutalkinboutwillis

• NW-1
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2024, 08:27:03 PM »
I can understand the winter months, where you have to patch up holes wherever they need it by using inferior drivers and horses. However, the week before the Hambo should be the best of the best on the racetrack and it is NOT. I guess I will turn my attention towards Baseball.
The proliferation of amateur drivers leaking into "pro" races is becoming a problem. Example: certain Trackmaster races are written giving extra points to amateur O/D. This has led some pro drivers to avoid races with amateurs in them. I know of a person who recently called the judges for a driver in an overnight, naming three leading national drivers not in the race (one guy, the judge actually said don't even think about it). They were all in races before and after but did not drive in this "mixed" race. This only contributes to the deterioration of the product.
The whole amateur system has become bastardized, and counter to its original spirit. What started as a few seventy-year-olds trading paint for fun, has morphed into a cynical money-making scheme for some. Now you have some dead broke "amateur drivers" fake "buying in" to horses with a paper shuffle, to ensure the horses get in each week as O/D. You have lifelong horsemen that jog and train and have driven for years, racing against true amateurs.
One solution might be, if you declare yourself amateur, then you drive exclusively in amateurs and cannot drive in a pro race. Maybe have a dedicated "Amateur Night" during the week. The entries would likely sustain at least eight or nine races, the handle would probably justify turning the lights on, and it would further the separation between Pro and amateur.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2024, 08:29:33 PM by Whatchutalkinboutwillis »

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2024, 11:48:09 PM »
The proliferation of amateur drivers leaking into "pro" races is becoming a problem. Example: certain Trackmaster races are written giving extra points to amateur O/D. This has led some pro drivers to avoid races with amateurs in them. I know of a person who recently called the judges for a driver in an overnight, naming three leading national drivers not in the race (one guy, the judge actually said don't even think about it). They were all in races before and after but did not drive in this "mixed" race. This only contributes to the deterioration of the product.
The whole amateur system has become bastardized, and counter to its original spirit. What started as a few seventy-year-olds trading paint for fun, has morphed into a cynical money-making scheme for some. Now you have some dead broke "amateur drivers" fake "buying in" to horses with a paper shuffle, to ensure the horses get in each week as O/D. You have lifelong horsemen that jog and train and have driven for years, racing against true amateurs.
One solution might be, if you declare yourself amateur, then you drive exclusively in amateurs and cannot drive in a pro race. Maybe have a dedicated "Amateur Night" during the week. The entries would likely sustain at least eight or nine races, the handle would probably justify turning the lights on, and it would further the separation between Pro and amateur.
Well written and it will only get worse. There is a lot of money and powerful industry people involved with the amateurs.

bello

• Elite
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2024, 12:03:17 AM »
Race 14  #2   Burke revived all his horses this week.

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2024, 12:38:47 AM »
I can understand the winter months, where you have to patch up holes wherever they need it by using inferior drivers and horses. However, the week before the Hambo should be the best of the best on the racetrack and it is NOT. I guess I will turn my attention towards Baseball.

Baseball---tough to bet and boring to watch!  Save your $$$$$ for football and racing!

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2024, 12:46:50 AM »
Baseball---tough to bet and boring to watch!  Save your $$$$$ for football and racing!
You're probably right about baseball. Football is fun to bet. I am actually losing interest in betting horses.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Papillon: changing diapers together
    September 05, 2024, 03:48:50 PM
  • Minjae: Where are Jen Bongiorno and the white knight?
    September 05, 2024, 12:28:36 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Sure was a gift, Dougie. I was happy to see him race, and win
    August 31, 2024, 04:11:00 PM
  • dougie: 2-1 0n Charlie May was a gift!!!!!
    August 31, 2024, 11:49:19 AM
  • Demples: Binkley
    August 29, 2024, 05:42:52 AM
  • Albatross77: I hope he goes down fucking hard!!
    August 28, 2024, 01:19:35 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: You better pray good boy!
    August 25, 2024, 11:56:30 AM
  • Mazola: He said take my hand and together we will beat it. What a perv
    August 24, 2024, 07:32:04 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal