Author Topic: Fewer owners now......  (Read 5212 times)

wizardofoz

• Stakes Horse
Fewer owners now......
« on: August 13, 2024, 08:10:41 PM »
The trainers are driving the owners out of the business.  I used to see 4 and 5 divisions of sires stakes classes in New York. Now, there are only 1 or 2 races in the top divisions and the Excelsior as well. It is reaching a point similar to the post office. Since stamps went up to .73 cents last month, there has been a big drop-off of mail delivery according to my mailman. If the post office thinks they will get more revenue by constantly raising their prices, the saturation point will be reached by the public and they will do their business all online.  The same applies to owning a racehorse. It looks like the industry has maxed out at this current level of monthly billing as there are definitely fewer owners with racehorses.

dougie

• Open / FFA
Re: Fewer owners now......
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2024, 08:18:47 PM »
When I owned horses at Pompano Park in the early 80's, trainers were charging $40 a day as well as $150-$250 a month to the farrier. With other misc. fees, it totaled to about  $2000 a month. I haven't been in the "harness game" in over 40 years; I shutter to think what the monthy bills are now.

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2024, 08:26:59 PM »
The trainers are driving the owners out of the business.  I used to see 4 and 5 divisions of sires stakes classes in New York. Now, there are only 1 or 2 races in the top divisions and the Excelsior as well. It is reaching a point similar to the post office. Since stamps went up to .73 cents last month, there has been a big drop-off of mail delivery according to my mailman. If the post office thinks they will get more revenue by constantly raising their prices, the saturation point will be reached by the public and they will do their business all online.  The same applies to owning a racehorse. It looks like the industry has maxed out at this current level of monthly billing as there are definitely fewer owners with racehorses.

Look at the average age of horse ownership.
Does anyone have and educated guess?
My educated guess is mid 50’s if not older!
As owners die off, not many if any to replace them.

The Unstable

• Top Claimer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2024, 08:31:59 PM »

It's not the trainers bill that is driving people out of owning.  It is the impossibility of beating Ake in trotters and Alexander in pacers not to mention Burke. Add in Bako/Haskell (correct me if i'm wrong) team and it will be worse next year.  The odds are so stacked against you. There are a few trotters on the Grand Circuit too. 

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2024, 08:40:46 PM »
When I owned horses at Pompano Park in the early 80's, trainers were charging $40 a day as well as $150-$250 a month to the farrier. With other misc. fees, it totaled to about  $2000 a month. I haven't been in the "harness game" in over 40 years; I shutter to think what the monthy bills are now.

I guess I got a great deal in 2004 when I got into the business. It was 35-38/day. My trainer generally did not take outside owners, but my gf and I were very fortunate she did. It wasn’t just business. We had dinner together on a number of occasions as well as other social things that normal people do in society. I had a chance to learn the business from the bottom up and never once regretted it, regardless of the profit/loss statement.

Today you are looking at 60+/day. 3000/month + vet and shipping. Not so bad considering what it was 20 years ago.
Although my trainer is very busy with his stable, more often than not took a few minutes if his time on issues outside the business as well as stories of business past. I’ve also had a few opportunities to go on road trips with the horses while I was in town. Do many if any other trainers do this for their owners?  I’ve also had the opportunity to play a rich man’s game on a small time budget. Again, do other trainers do this for their owners.
More importantly, you have an opportunity to make friends with others in the business. You also get a chance to meet other trainers, drivers and other people in the business.   

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2024, 09:11:29 PM »
i will chip in here
some valid comments
its the small to medium owners being driven out
the large owners who basically use it as a tax write and a way to travel around prefer fewer divisions and even smaller fields as they purses are larger with fewer horses
but lets be honest the increased and additional costs on the monthly bill from trainers does not help either
as for the age of owners, mid 50's is about 10 years light, just look at the winners circle in many of the major stakes races

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2024, 09:16:33 PM »
i will chip in here
some valid comments
its the small to medium owners being driven out
the large owners who basically use it as a tax write and a way to travel around prefer fewer divisions and even smaller fields as they purses are larger with fewer horses
but lets be honest the increased and additional costs on the monthly bill from trainers does not help either
as for the age of owners, mid 50's is about 10 years light, just look at the winners circle in many of the major stakes races

Was trying to use a conservative figure so the ‘boo birds’ wouldn’t come out and start hammering this.

Let’s take it one step further, what is the average trainer’s age?
Is mid 50’s a correct assessment or older??

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2024, 11:20:22 PM »
bills are  crazy with trainers,,

cant beat the top barns ,,impossible to break even fort small owner

still we endure and try call it crazy...
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2024, 11:32:18 PM »
bills are  crazy with trainers,,

cant beat the top barns ,,impossible to break even fort small owner

still we endure and try call it crazy...

Can you give us a ballpark of your training bills?  You have had multiple trainers over the years and anyone on horseplop would have to take a good guess as to who they are and their bills.

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2024, 11:39:10 PM »
Can you give us a ballpark of your training bills?  You have had multiple trainers over the years and anyone on horseplop would have to take a good guess as to who they are and their bills.
What do you care about bills. According to Chuck and Janice, you don't pay your bills anyway.

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2024, 11:44:34 PM »
What do you care about bills. According to Chuck and Janice, you don't pay your bills anyway.

Evening LIL MIKEY,

Why do you continually have to spread so many "LIES" and 'BS' here!

I asked you before, how much is it!

I'm still waiting for the amount you claim what I owe!

Thank you for embarrassing yourself AGAIN on horseplop!

Keep up the good work!

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2024, 11:47:22 PM »
Evening LIL MIKEY,

Why do you continually have to spread so many "LIES" and 'BS' here!

I asked you before, how much is it!

I'm still waiting for the amount you claim what I owe!

Thank you for embarrassing yourself AGAIN on horseplop!

Keep up the good work!
They said you offered your orange Honda and size 6 bowling shoes but they said that wouldn't even pay for the blacksmith bill you owe.

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2024, 11:53:07 PM »
They said you offered your orange Honda and size 6 bowling shoes but they said that wouldn't even pay for the blacksmith bill you owe.

EVENING LIL MIKEY,

Still waiting for the proof of what you said here!

FYI, someone is dyslexic, it's a size 9!

Thank you for posting yet again and your continuing embasassment on horseplop!

BoKnows

• Top Claimer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2024, 11:52:20 PM »

They had 5 horses entered for last week's 2yo trotting filly NYSS at Saratoga racing for $148k. After a scratch it was a 4 horse field.

There are still competent trainers out there with reasonable rates at the smaller tracks. While you won't race for the big money like Yonkers, you also aren't paying $4-5k per month once you throw in all of those vet bills.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
  • Which wolf wins? The one you feed.
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2024, 12:05:56 AM »

Look at the average age of horse ownership.
Does anyone have and educated guess?
My educated guess is mid 50’s if not older!
As owners die off, not many if any to replace them.

Excellent point. The demographics are a major issue.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: Thank You Calhoun, Trying to post winners
    September 29, 2024, 12:41:02 PM
  • Calhoun: God Bless you, Uncle Jerry. Welcome back.
    September 27, 2024, 11:34:09 AM
  • Unclejerry: Lets Move To Mohawk for final 3
    September 26, 2024, 09:52:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: R7 Flamboro another Superfecta $66.45
    September 26, 2024, 08:44:18 PM
  • Unclejerry: Uncle Jerry Gives out $115.10 Trifecta at Flamboro
    September 26, 2024, 08:07:12 PM
  • Unclejerry: Does anyone know a website where people talk and share actual bets?
    September 26, 2024, 07:57:21 PM
  • Unclejerry: Uncle Jerry just gave out a $156.20 Super in R1 at Flamboro
    September 26, 2024, 06:47:08 PM
  • London: Another fkn scumbag
    September 25, 2024, 05:31:08 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal