Author Topic: Fewer owners now......  (Read 5244 times)

rainman2

• Elite
Re: Fewer owners now......
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2024, 12:42:47 AM »
They had 5 horses entered for last week's 2yo trotting filly NYSS at Saratoga racing for $148k. After a scratch it was a 4 horse field.

There are still competent trainers out there with reasonable rates at the smaller tracks. While you won't race for the big money like Yonkers, you also aren't paying $4-5k per month once you throw in all of those vet bills.

you have to hope and pray you don't have a lot of vet bills and a trainer that doesn't run to the vet for every little issue

JT

• Open / FFA
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2024, 08:18:54 AM »
When my Grandfather was a small time owner and one of his horses finished 3rd 4th or 5th he would always say.. well at least that will cover the vet bills for this week. You get what you pay for. You have to keep them sound. I cannot even imagine how a small time owner can keep there head above water unless they get a real good one.

Vince Treanor

• NW-1
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2024, 08:33:53 AM »
It’s too bad these posts begin intelligently and then digress into ludicrousness.

kantseeback

• Elite
  • I'm voting for Mrs Kamaltoe Cackles and Tampon Tim
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2024, 08:42:49 AM »
About 10 years ago Bernie Boren told me he was charging 85 a day.

The Unstable

• Top Claimer
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2024, 09:21:06 AM »
Do any of you currently own?  Most trainers are not killing small owners.  The reality is owning yearlings is a very high risk low reward game.  20 2yos alone were listed on Ongait yesterday.

To get a yearling you have to buy one.  My group typically spends around 20-50K per yearling.  there are 3 of us. That is for Regional sire stake type of horse we are hoping for. To spend more we think makes it impossible to get out and really can't afford the risk. Add about 15K or so to get to the races and stake.  Now you are in for 50K.  And if you make it you have to dig out.  It is really hard. And if you do make it and are good you can have them get injured like I had one this week. That is why buying a claimer or made horse makes so much more sense.  But sense isn't what we are in it for.  We are in it for Sire Stake winners and perhaps if lucky something more.  SO along the way I have won Sire Stake legs with about 6 out of 50 plus and have had 3 Sire Stake Champs , a state horse of the year and a couple of Grand Circuit wins. Also some second tier Stake wins.  I have personally lost a lot of money 15-50K per year on my share alone for the last few years until this year where I stand to make a profit including horse flesh 75K and maybe more. Then you pray they come back at 3 or maybe lose a lot of what you made.  One year I made over 175K on one horse alone at 3.  The tax benefits are favorable. 

All in all over the years since I got with honest trainers ( early on ripped off and taken my lumps) I am about even.  Which is a miracle on yearlings.  As a owner overall on all horses claimers and babies I have made a profit most years.  You need good people and honest trainers you have a relationship with.  I been with most of mine for over ten years. Good luck. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 09:49:37 AM by The Unstable »

Frankie T

• 4 claimer
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2024, 09:40:52 AM »
What do you care about bills. According to Chuck and Janice, you don't pay your bills anyway.

Your post is out of line and toxic. The post you replied to was a reasonable and on-topic post. Your reply was trolling. Is this your online persona are you like this in real life? If you are you probably do not have any friends. Grow up!

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2024, 09:42:30 AM »
Your post is out of line and toxic. The post you replied to was a reasonable and on-topic post. Your reply was trolling. Is this your online persona are you like this in real life? If you are you probably do not have any friends. Grow up!
Mind your own business jerkoff

mwins

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2024, 10:00:08 AM »
Jenn....Per....ea ch 5k a month.
Plus vet.

Parked

• Elite
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2024, 10:02:11 AM »
Do any of you currently own?  Most trainers are not killing small owners.  The reality is owning yearlings is a very high risk low reward game.  20 2yos alone were listed on Ongait yesterday.

To get a yearling you have to buy one.  My group typically spends around 20-50K per yearling.  there are 3 of us. That is for Regional sire stake type of horse we are hoping for. To spend more we think makes it impossible to get out and really can't afford the risk. Add about 15K or so to get to the races and stake.  Now you are in for 50K.  And if you make it you have to dig out.  It is really hard. And if you do make it and are good you can have them get injured like I had one this week, That is why buying a claimer or made horse makes so much more sense.  But sense isn't what we are in it for.  We are in for Sire Stake winners.  SO along the way I have won a legs with about 10 out of 50 and have 3 Sire Stake Champs , a state horse of the year and a couple of Grand Circuit wins.  I have personally lost a lot of money 15-50K per year on my share alone for the last few years until this year where I stand to make a profit including horse flesh 75K and maybe more. Then you pray they come back at 3 or maybe lose a lot of what you made.  One year I made over 175K on one horse alone at 3.  The tax benefits are favorable. 

All in all over the years since I got with honest trainers ( early on ripped off and taken my lumps) I am about even.  Which is a miracle on yearlings.  As a owner overall on all horses claimers and babies I have made a profit most years.  You need good people and honest trainers you have a relationship with.  I been with most of mine for over ten years. Good luck.
Sounds a  like my experience in the horse business.  Well over 45 years for me.
Not fun anymore. Buying 2,3 or 4 yearlings a year isn’t goin to get it done.  The SS divisions in N Y are down to 2 and the large stables end up with 3 or 4 legitimate SS horses so 2 end up in the lower class (excelsior) so most races are going the same speed.  The top stables lock in the top drivers of which just a few travel, so another factor is against the small owner as the local drivers are, for the most part, intimidated by the big boys who work together a lot. 
I’ve had a partner for most of the years and have been lucky and broke even for the most part but now will stop fighting the odds and get out of the yearling business. Yes, its only 3 or 4, maybe 5 yearlings but when multiplied by many in the same boat you will see the breeders buying back more and more of their yearlings.
My advice to the smaller owner is 1. Never hire a trainer who is broke or struggling as they wont make good decisions for you. 2. Use a driver who is hungry and your horse is just another drive. 

dougie

• Open / FFA
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2024, 10:08:19 AM »
When I had the four cheap claimers at Pompano Park in the 80's, I had 2 other partners. We had 2 $4000 claimers and 2 $6000 claimers. We loved the "game" but got grinded out. It was my fault. I thought i'd be a "big shot" and have a small stable. And while we had "action" every week, the bills became out of hand. So we got out of the biz. I realize now we should have only had 2 horses. A 6-8 claimer and a 8-10 claimer. Less monthly bills. Live and learn.

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2024, 10:12:46 AM »
bills are about 4k when not racing

6k when racing ,,plus vets
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2024, 10:15:47 AM »
bills are about 4k when not racing

6k when racing ,,plus vets

Thank you for your honesty!

Believe it or not it is important to some of us here who are serious about the sport unlike some nameless others here!!

seen2much

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2024, 10:17:19 AM »
There are reasonable trainers for mid level condition horses & claimers. I don't see anyway to compete on the top level. The stuff they use means you are racing for a small piece...if lucky.

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2024, 10:19:04 AM »

Look at the individual posting!!  It’s what happens when you don’t have a life outside of horseplop!

rainman2

• Elite
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2024, 10:29:55 AM »

Great point!

Only alienates people on horseplop.

Has no friends and no life!  The posts speak for themselves!!

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: Thank You Calhoun, Trying to post winners
    September 29, 2024, 12:41:02 PM
  • Calhoun: God Bless you, Uncle Jerry. Welcome back.
    September 27, 2024, 11:34:09 AM
  • Unclejerry: Lets Move To Mohawk for final 3
    September 26, 2024, 09:52:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: R7 Flamboro another Superfecta $66.45
    September 26, 2024, 08:44:18 PM
  • Unclejerry: Uncle Jerry Gives out $115.10 Trifecta at Flamboro
    September 26, 2024, 08:07:12 PM
  • Unclejerry: Does anyone know a website where people talk and share actual bets?
    September 26, 2024, 07:57:21 PM
  • Unclejerry: Uncle Jerry just gave out a $156.20 Super in R1 at Flamboro
    September 26, 2024, 06:47:08 PM
  • London: Another fkn scumbag
    September 25, 2024, 05:31:08 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal