Author Topic: How I got hooked on Harness Racing.  (Read 1844 times)

dougie

• Open / FFA
How I got hooked on Harness Racing.
« on: August 16, 2024, 11:17:33 AM »
I was about 15 years old as I stood by the rail at the "Mighty M". Spent all my summers since I was born at a amazing bungalow colony about 7 miles from the track. As I watched the post parade, I yelled to one of my favorite drivers Jim Grundy, "Hey Jim, who do you like?". He looked at me and yelled, "Cappello said bet the #6". I ran up to the grandstand to tell my dad. He's looked at his program seeing Dan Cappello driving a horse named "Shadydale Yankios". Small world. He was one of the first horses owned by Jeff Gural. I begged my dad to bet my $5 allowance on the horse. He wanted to teach me a lesson. I'd lose my allowance. No milkey ways or ice cream the whole week. So he made the bet. Shadydale Yankios won and paid $12.60. For better or worse, I was hooked for good. Thanks Jimmy Grundy. More than that, thanks Dad. I miss you. Rest In Peace.

old guy

• Stakes Horse
Re: How I got hooked on Harness Racing.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2024, 11:35:51 AM »
Nice story. I owned Shadydale Yankios for a short time.

73cv.2
I was about 15 years old as I stood by the rail at the "Mighty M". Spent all my summers since I was born at a amazing bungalow colony about 7 miles from the track. As I watched the post parade, I yelled to one of my favorite drivers Jim Grundy, "Hey Jim, who do you like?". He looked at me and yelled, "Cappello said bet the #6". I ran up to the grandstand to tell my dad. He's looked at his program seeing Dan Cappello driving a horse named "Shadydale Yankios". Small world. He was one of the first horses owned by Jeff Gural. I begged my dad to bet my $5 allowance on the horse. He wanted to teach me a lesson. I'd lose my allowance. No milkey ways or ice cream the whole week. So he made the bet. Shadydale Yankios won and paid $12.60. For better or worse, I was hooked for good. Thanks Jimmy Grundy. More than that, thanks Dad. I miss you. Rest In Peace.

JT

• Open / FFA
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2024, 11:46:09 AM »
Great story Dougie. The friends and loved ones that have passed on are always with us. When we are sitting in our box at the jug my grandparents might not be there with us physically.. but in mind and spirit they are. I just wish they could pass us a few more winning tickets LOL

dougie

• Open / FFA
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2024, 11:56:05 AM »
Old Guy.....that is so cool!!!!!

Six Pence

• NW-1
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2024, 03:54:28 PM »
I was about five years old when my Grandpa took me to the local
fair. At that time every town that was anything had a fair as it
was one of the few sources of entertainment in rural areas. The
fair was really quite large, larger than most today.  We walked
the entire fairgrounds. Going from the railroad spur where almost all of the livestock arrived at the fair to the "girly show"
which I didn't understand at the time and was carefully steered from by my Granpa.  The fair had a grandstand and a half mile
track with well attended racing daily.  We visited nearly every
stall and I saw the most outstanding horse that I had ever seen.  A bay with black main and tail with straw up to his belly
and all four legs done up in bandages.  I had only been around
farm horses and though they were well taken care of, they were never as shiny or as well groomed.  It was as near to an epiphany as I have experienced in a horse barn.  Now after nearly 75 years I still get the same feeling when I go to the
barn each morning to begin jogging and training.

I must admit that I have often wondered how different my
life might have turned out if I had gone to the "girly show"
that day instead of the horse barns.

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2024, 04:00:07 PM »
Bought a claimer in 2004

20 yrs later  and millions lost
I’m still chasing my dreams

« Last Edit: August 16, 2024, 04:15:20 PM by LUCPARK »
REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

dougie

• Open / FFA
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2024, 04:04:37 PM »
Six Pence.....great story! I hope you continue to love this great sport!

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2024, 04:09:29 PM »
I was about five years old when my Grandpa took me to the local
fair. At that time every town that was anything had a fair as it
was one of the few sources of entertainment in rural areas. The
fair was really quite large, larger than most today.  We walked
the entire fairgrounds. Going from the railroad spur where almost all of the livestock arrived at the fair to the "girly show"
which I didn't understand at the time and was carefully steered from by my Granpa.  The fair had a grandstand and a half mile
track with well attended racing daily.  We visited nearly every
stall and I saw the most outstanding horse that I had ever seen.  A bay with black main and tail with straw up to his belly
and all four legs done up in bandages.  I had only been around
farm horses and though they were well taken care of, they were never as shiny or as well groomed.  It was as near to an epiphany as I have experienced in a horse barn.  Now after nearly 75 years I still get the same feeling when I go to the
barn each morning to begin jogging and training.

I must admit that I have often wondered how different my
life might have turned out if I had gone to the "girly show"
that day instead of the horse barns.
You might have turned out to be President

MOHAWK FREAK

• Top Claimer
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2024, 04:38:39 PM »
  A friend of the family took me at the age of 14. They had box seats right on the finish line. Jamb packed and exciting. I was splitting bets with my friend a buck each. I ended up winning 20.00.  This was 1979. The guy next to me said “ hey kid you want to spend that 20? Cindy here can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch “.  He then handed me his car keys. I said “where has this been all my life”. I have been going 5 times a week for 40 years now. 

dougie

• Open / FFA
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2024, 04:40:36 PM »
Great story Mohawk! I was in box seats a few times at the "Mighty M" too!

Mohawk mac

• Top Claimer
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2024, 04:52:10 PM »
I love this thread!  The good, the bad and the ugly.  ;D  Will contribute after the races tonight.  Carry on, boys! tmbz1

JT

• Open / FFA
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2024, 05:08:08 PM »
My Grandma and Grandpa when I was 5 or 6 years old rode me in their old El Camino to a small county fair in Ohio to watch one of their horses race. Once I went back to the barn area I was hooked. All the other kids there wanted to ride the rides or play the games.. I wanted to watch the races so my Grandpa walked me up to the fence of the track and we watched one. When they came racing by I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Growing up in Delaware the jug was always a big deal. From kindergarden through my senior year in high school my parents would always call me in sick during jug week. Some of my best memories are sitting in our box with my grandparents and parents and other family members. I thought I was so cool being that young and being able to attend and having my family members bet for me.That started almost 45 years ago and now I am the senior member of our box at the jug. First jug I ever attended on jug day was the great Niatross. I was almost 6 years old

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2024, 05:25:22 PM »
My father ran the girlie show tent at the fair in upstate NY. I would go with him and he would leave the tent to me and go get drunk at the beer tent. I was only 12 but I tried to run the shows. I got so many blow jobs from the dancers that I became so dehydrated and decided it was best to get into harness racing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2024, 05:29:46 PM by MIKE CAMPBELL »

The Thorn

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2024, 06:30:11 PM »
Went to Yonkers at 18 and had a little beginners luck.  Went back once or twice a year and always managed to win.  In 73 when reading the Sports Eye I noticed a horse with the same name as my late wife was racing and it was her 22nd birthday. We went, she won, paid 5 to 1 and that was like this is meant to be.

moelarrythecheese

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2024, 06:41:48 PM »
Seeing a win photo from Hinsdale with my aunt and uncle in it

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: Thank You Calhoun, Trying to post winners
    September 29, 2024, 12:41:02 PM
  • Calhoun: God Bless you, Uncle Jerry. Welcome back.
    September 27, 2024, 11:34:09 AM
  • Unclejerry: Lets Move To Mohawk for final 3
    September 26, 2024, 09:52:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: R7 Flamboro another Superfecta $66.45
    September 26, 2024, 08:44:18 PM
  • Unclejerry: Uncle Jerry Gives out $115.10 Trifecta at Flamboro
    September 26, 2024, 08:07:12 PM
  • Unclejerry: Does anyone know a website where people talk and share actual bets?
    September 26, 2024, 07:57:21 PM
  • Unclejerry: Uncle Jerry just gave out a $156.20 Super in R1 at Flamboro
    September 26, 2024, 06:47:08 PM
  • London: Another fkn scumbag
    September 25, 2024, 05:31:08 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal