Author Topic: MARTY ADLER r.i.p.  (Read 2568 times)

Jctoronto

• Stakes Horse
MARTY ADLER r.i.p.
« on: August 25, 2024, 10:14:18 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/SRQjB8NSr82BvDuB/?mibextid=oFDknk

I worked a season fall/winter '79 behind the scenes upstairs at Windsor Raceway with Marty on the mic.
Adler..the Windsor media legend.

Only ONE like him.

rest in peace sir

« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 10:30:14 PM by Jctoronto »

sfdecoy

• Open / FFA
Re: MARTY ADLER r.i.p.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2024, 10:50:33 PM »
Some may recall Marty working for a regional cable provider, PASS Sports, back in the early 90s.

PASS carried the Detroit Tigers and Marty would interview a fan or two between innings.

One game included putting a buddy of mine & I on air, to highlight how my friend had carved "Cecil" into his hairline (for Cecil Fielder who was the first player in about 20 years to hit 50 HRs). We were 16 yrs old.

Marty made the rounds. He was good people and he provided a memorable moment in me & my buddy's life. I am grateful for that.

May he RIP.

whiptherabbit

• Elite
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2024, 02:04:42 PM »
Him & Earl Lennox were fantastic doing TSN racing shows decades ago, even featured Marty driving some.

Mazola

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2024, 02:17:31 PM »
Marty also produced some LBJ shows. Always top notch productions.

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2024, 02:43:19 PM »
have to admire how much he loved harness racing and the time he was involved, need more like him

daily_double

• NW-1
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2024, 05:31:59 PM »
He was a very shrewd trainer too. He knew when he had a good one and set the horse up accordingly

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
  • Which wolf wins? The one you feed.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2024, 06:29:42 PM »
Like many I met Marty when he was at Windsor. Over the course of time, we got to know each other pretty well even though he was based out of Windsor and I was in NJ and FL. He had such a passion for the sport. I would call him and ask him about horses and he would get so into it you could just tell he loved it. He had a very good eye for a horse too and I would always ask him about the babies and the 2yo races once they started. I kept in touch with him when he retired and moved out west to Amherstburg (where Greg Wright is from). He still kept busy and active and really loved life and his family.

Marty was one of the sport's real good guys...and outside the sport, in life, he was even better.

pylon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2024, 06:45:14 PM »
Like many I met Marty when he was at Windsor. Over the course of time, we got to know each other pretty well even though he was based out of Windsor and I was in NJ and FL. He had such a passion for the sport. I would call him and ask him about horses and he would get so into it you could just tell he loved it. He had a very good eye for a horse too and I would always ask him about the babies and the 2yo races once they started. I kept in touch with him when he retired and moved out west to Amherstburg (where Greg Wright is from). He still kept busy and active and really loved life and his family.

Marty was one of the sport's real good guys...and outside the sport, in life, he was even better.

well said GH
RIP marty

stanetelman

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2024, 06:51:49 PM »

tmbz1 tmbz1 tmbz1

Indian24

• 4 claimer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2024, 07:37:16 PM »
RIP Marty

seen2much

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2024, 09:13:06 PM »
RIP
All the good guys are passing.

Any1Left

• Top Claimer
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2024, 09:17:07 PM »
He made me smile and laugh ,,,,,,,,,,,,What more could i ask from someone,,,,,,

Jctoronto

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2024, 09:41:58 PM »
Marty was always interesting.

-he did picks tv pre show for Hazel Park for a summer and I remember him holding up a 8 x 10" piece of paper with a big horse number drawn on it he was picking to win.

- I said to my friend on a Sunday aft at Leamington Raceway that only driver Marty Adler could get caught up in an inquiry in a 4 HORSE RACE.  and yes he did, dq'ed out of an exacta.  Could he have planned that craziness?  He had money and adored the inner workings of the racing and gambling game. So maybe.

- during my September Sunday night 7p Windsor Raceway shifts, I remember him with giant fold out betting chart with most all media celebrities from Detroit and Windsor on it. He had NFL games wrapping at 1st race 7pm post time, and was circling winners on the football chart as his pretaped race announcement aired in-house 'One Minute to posttime..one minute to posttime at Windsor Raceway. Don't get shut out'. It was a beautiful thing as he went from a 300 name football picks chart he ran seamlessly, right into his first half of Double racecall featuring names like Bill Gale and Randy Kerr.
All good.
One of the games great characters.

r.i.p.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 09:53:28 PM by Jctoronto »

Jctoronto

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2024, 06:06:00 AM »

ferdinand the bull

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2024, 06:32:51 AM »
RIP
All the good guys are passing.
A lot have passed recently.
Marty used the name broken headpole on here , good guy
RIP

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • dougie: Old and tired, i still feel bad about Freehold closing.
    Today at 12:47:09 PM
  • Papillon: changing diapers together
    September 05, 2024, 03:48:50 PM
  • Minjae: Where are Jen Bongiorno and the white knight?
    September 05, 2024, 12:28:36 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Sure was a gift, Dougie. I was happy to see him race, and win
    August 31, 2024, 04:11:00 PM
  • dougie: 2-1 0n Charlie May was a gift!!!!!
    August 31, 2024, 11:49:19 AM
  • Demples: Binkley
    August 29, 2024, 05:42:52 AM
  • Albatross77: I hope he goes down fucking hard!!
    August 28, 2024, 01:19:35 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: You better pray good boy!
    August 25, 2024, 11:56:30 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal