Author Topic: Freehold Raceway Closing?  (Read 7295 times)

Papillon

• Stakes Horse

pocketrocketwinner

• Stakes Horse
Re: Freehold Raceway Closing?
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2024, 08:19:25 PM »
The very important detail
“Consequently, the appropriations that this bill purports to require through State fiscal year 2029 are not binding and serve only as a strong expression of intent to provide funding in future fiscal years,” he explained

Sunmoon 1219

• Open / FFA
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2024, 10:36:39 PM »
Sounds like without the subsidy it definitely would close . They have no attendance and no handle . The only thing keeping them on life support is the 2 million from the state obviously.

LUCPARK

• Living Legend
  • HES A GOOD GUY ,FAMILY MAN AND A CHRISTIAN
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2024, 10:42:17 PM »
Place is a DUMP

BEEN THERE FIVE TIMES

EITHER REHAB  IT OR CLOSE IT

BUT  THE WAY IT SITS NOW

ITS DISGUSTING

REAL AMERICANS DONT TAKE A KNEE

kantseeback

• Elite
  • I'm voting for Mrs Kamaltoe Cackles and Tampon Tim
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2024, 11:32:52 PM »
The last time I was there in 2017 the attendance was about 20, or about 2 times the Monticello attendance.

Sunmoon 1219

• Open / FFA
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2024, 06:51:57 AM »
Is it true they have one refreshment stand in the entire place ? They sell the same pretzels all weekend until there gone ? A few hotdogs ? What the heck guys . You out East boys supposed to be having steaks and burgers.

dougie

• Open / FFA
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2024, 01:05:11 PM »
I try to plan to see family in Jersey when Freehold has live racing. I've always enjoyed the races there. But the crowds of late are just so small, it's very sad. If there are new owners, I'd imagine they would have to invest a lot of money to fix this up.

Sunmoon 1219

• Open / FFA
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2024, 01:48:24 PM »
We are seriously thinking of flying out to take pictures of the place if it’s closing up or see for ourselves that an East coast track is as deplorable as it sounds from comments made here . Sounds like a NYC garbage dump

kantseeback

• Elite
  • I'm voting for Mrs Kamaltoe Cackles and Tampon Tim
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2024, 01:53:29 PM »
We are seriously thinking of flying out to take pictures of the place if it’s closing up or see for ourselves that an East coast track is as deplorable as it sounds from comments made here . Sounds like a NYC garbage dump

It has a boiler roomesque feel to it.

dougie

• Open / FFA
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2024, 01:53:57 PM »
Sunmoon1219, it's in pretty tough shape. It's not a "NYC garbage dump". But it would take millions to ever "spruce' it up to what it should be. The question of the new ownership is ....."Is it worth it". Will it draw in more fans? I think the fan base is very small. Like Monticello, it's draws sparse crowds for live racing.

Kirbys Ace

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2024, 01:56:22 PM »
Save your money on plane tickets and just go to the local hood strip club that all you smell is urinal blocks when you walk in!
Back by popular demand!

Lar4400

• 4 claimer
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2024, 06:05:03 PM »
Give Freehold a break pls.
The industry is down big time and this small historic track s doing enough to just survive. Give them credit for doing so.
Should they invest millions when no one truly believes that attendance will not increase because they open a 2nd refreshment stand or new bathroom stalls. Until slots are approved to help this classic establishment physical improvements won’t change a thing.
I think the place is fine the way it is. Plenty of close by free parking, no admission fee, a pretty solid restaurant and a place where local standardbred horseman can continue to race their lower valued stock.
Congrats Freehold Raceway. Hope that you can stay open for another 100 plus years….

Papillon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2024, 06:44:03 PM »
The industry is down big time and this small historic track s doing enough to just survive. Give them credit for doing so.
Should they invest millions when no one truly believes that attendance will not increase because they open a 2nd refreshment stand or new bathroom stalls. Until slots are approved to help this classic establishment physical improvements won’t change a thing.
I think the place is fine the way it is. Plenty of close by free parking, no admission fee, a pretty solid restaurant and a place where local standardbred horseman can continue to race their lower valued stock.
Congrats Freehold Raceway. Hope that you can stay open for another 100 plus years….

not happening anytime soon

Atlantic City pays Trenton for exclusivity

that is how NJ operates

Gural found out

pocketrocketwinner

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2024, 07:17:32 PM »

"The place is fine the way it is" is one of the craziest opinions I've heard. Also, it'd very typical of the racing industry. Never try to improve anything, under any circumstances.

Sunmoon 1219

• Open / FFA
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2024, 09:42:30 PM »
Wow lots of opinions on this place . The sad thing is there is very little money bet there on any race day which translates into no audience.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • dougie: Old and tired, i still feel bad about Freehold closing.
    Today at 12:47:09 PM
  • Papillon: changing diapers together
    September 05, 2024, 03:48:50 PM
  • Minjae: Where are Jen Bongiorno and the white knight?
    September 05, 2024, 12:28:36 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Sure was a gift, Dougie. I was happy to see him race, and win
    August 31, 2024, 04:11:00 PM
  • dougie: 2-1 0n Charlie May was a gift!!!!!
    August 31, 2024, 11:49:19 AM
  • Demples: Binkley
    August 29, 2024, 05:42:52 AM
  • Albatross77: I hope he goes down fucking hard!!
    August 28, 2024, 01:19:35 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: You better pray good boy!
    August 25, 2024, 11:56:30 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal