Author Topic: List of Owners and Trainers  (Read 5563 times)

Mazola

• Stakes Horse
Re: List of Owners and Trainers
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2024, 08:28:47 PM »
Ross Croghan

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
  • Which wolf wins? The one you feed.
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2024, 10:28:21 PM »
They had a beautiful farm

Sure did. It was magnificent! I had been to every major farm here in the US. Sure you had to be impressed with Castleton, Almahurst, Hanover, Lana Lobell, and the other great farms of yesteryear. In later years Brittany, Perretti, Southwind, Cane Run, Hunterdon, etc. There are others as well. Armstrong was a family farm through and through. Almost all of the family members were involved, one way or another. There was just a pride, a continuous and non-stop commitment to excellence there. It was really something. I'll never forget the first time I went there, the last time, and every other time! LOL.

Arnold Ziffel

• Top Claimer
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2024, 10:32:36 PM »
Peter Brandstatter

Tom Devitis

Cat & Steve Manzi

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2024, 10:56:44 PM »
I won't speak to the former two, but Cat is still around and is involved in the business. When he first retired about 10 years ago, of course he was working for Tom and John Cancelliere.

Steve left the business. Not sure what he was doing, but someone said he became a wine expert and was buying and selling wine. I can't confirm or deny that, it was just what someone told me. Unfortunately, Steve suffered a tragedy as his son, Michael, died about 10 years ago. He was in his early 30's.

Arnold Ziffel

• Top Claimer
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2024, 10:30:13 AM »
I won't speak to the former two, but Cat is still around and is involved in the business. When he first retired about 10 years ago, of course he was working for Tom and John Cancelliere.

Steve left the business. Not sure what he was doing, but someone said he became a wine expert and was buying and selling wine. I can't confirm or deny that, it was just what someone told me. Unfortunately, Steve suffered a tragedy as his son, Michael, died about 10 years ago. He was in his early 30's.
I’m sorry to hear that about Steve’s son.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2024, 05:15:31 PM »
Ross Croghan

Sad story about Ross. About 5 years ago, Ross had what was supposed to be a simple back procedure. Something went wrong, and that begin a series of complications, sickness, etc. When this happened, he was out of action for a long time, and he lost all his horses. I think he went from 30 or so to one. From that initial procedure, Ross has now had something like eight surgeries, multiple skin graphs, and various infections that ran through his body. He got very sick and is still going through a very tough time.

Ross is a good guy, always helped anyone who needed it, and is a great horseman. Back in the day, he was a very good driver, and was competitive with the best of them too!

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2024, 05:41:01 PM »
Jerry Evilsizor

Mazola

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2024, 07:52:49 PM »
Sad story about Ross. About 5 years ago, Ross had what was supposed to be a simple back procedure. Something went wrong, and that begin a series of complications, sickness, etc. When this happened, he was out of action for a long time, and he lost all his horses. I think he went from 30 or so to one. From that initial procedure, Ross has now had something like eight surgeries, multiple skin graphs, and various infections that ran through his body. He got very sick and is still going through a very tough time.

Ross is a good guy, always helped anyone who needed it, and is a great horseman. Back in the day, he was a very good driver, and was competitive with the best of them too!

Not good and sorry to hear that. I remember him at Los Al where hewas a force. Hope he gets well.

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2024, 09:37:05 PM »
Peter Ruscitto

John Plutino

Joe Schwind

Third Over

• Top Claimer
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2024, 09:25:21 AM »
Steve Warrington
Howard Parker
Nat Varty

Arnold Ziffel

• Top Claimer
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2024, 02:54:41 PM »

Sad I wish him well.

Vince Treanor

• NW-1
« Reply #41 on: Today at 12:40:30 PM »
Dan Garnett was spoiled by his long time trainer, who took his worst yearlings and made a lot of them into great horses. Gernatt sold his best yearlings every year and put into training the ones who wouldn’t bring any money in the sales ring. These Adioo Bobs were successful against much better ny sires because of his longtime trainer, whose name slips my mind. I just remember the guy from Ben white raceway. He used to pal around with John Simpson sr. Hanover even named a horse after the guy. If anyone recalls his name, refresh my memory. He died relatively young

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #42 on: Today at 01:34:21 PM »
Dan Garnett was spoiled by his long time trainer, who took his worst yearlings and made a lot of them into great horses. Gernatt sold his best yearlings every year and put into training the ones who wouldn’t bring any money in the sales ring. These Adioo Bobs were successful against much better ny sires because of his longtime trainer, whose name slips my mind. I just remember the guy from Ben white raceway. He used to pal around with John Simpson sr. Hanover even named a horse after the guy. If anyone recalls his name, refresh my memory. He died relatively young

George Forshey

Vince Treanor

• NW-1
« Reply #43 on: Today at 01:44:59 PM »
Forshey Hanover. Thanks for the reminder. I wouldn’t have thought of that name because it’s been so long.

jupiter

• Elite
« Reply #44 on: Today at 04:22:10 PM »
Adioo Bob was a kicking pain in the ass. Typical Tar Boy. George was a good horseman and a great guy to work for, with a pretty good staff. He made a lot of good broodmares for the farm.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • dougie: Old and tired, i still feel bad about Freehold closing.
    Today at 12:47:09 PM
  • Papillon: changing diapers together
    September 05, 2024, 03:48:50 PM
  • Minjae: Where are Jen Bongiorno and the white knight?
    September 05, 2024, 12:28:36 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Sure was a gift, Dougie. I was happy to see him race, and win
    August 31, 2024, 04:11:00 PM
  • dougie: 2-1 0n Charlie May was a gift!!!!!
    August 31, 2024, 11:49:19 AM
  • Demples: Binkley
    August 29, 2024, 05:42:52 AM
  • Albatross77: I hope he goes down fucking hard!!
    August 28, 2024, 01:19:35 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: You better pray good boy!
    August 25, 2024, 11:56:30 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal