Author Topic: Another Horrible Display  (Read 1651 times)

M P

• Stakes Horse
Re: Another Horrible Display
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2024, 04:09:38 PM »
That is much more of a reflection of 2 heats. AWD adding the race on theor platforms 10 mins prior to post with no programs available off track

Ok, rest of the card averaged around $100k a race. One of the biggest days in harness racing. Fail. Nobody outside the game cares. How many tracks need to close before you people wake the fuck up???
But "I'M" detrimental to the industry.

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2024, 04:15:47 PM »
I guess I am hopeless for being a traditionalist.. just like the national anthem should still be said in school and our countries statues should never come down. As far as handle goes.. say you move it to Saturday night and handle an extra 100000 grand who cares. Handle has been dropping at all tracks for years and years. Harness racing is a dying industry
You're not seeing the big picture. Why do you think other sports and even the T Breds have their big events on weekends???? EYEBALLS!!!! Maybe if the LBJ is on a Saturday, it might get a National broadcast like the Hambo. Insert insult here.......

pocketrocketwinner

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2024, 04:16:29 PM »
Ok, rest of the card averaged around $100k a race. One of the biggest days in harness racing. Fail. Nobody outside the game cares. How many tracks need to close before you people wake the fuck up???

I commented strictly on the handle number you posted for the jug itself. I don't have an opinion for the other 20races. I do have an opinion that it doesn't matter what day of the week or time of day the jug goes to post. If it's a 2nd heat with awds scrambling to load to the race (if they ar lucky to remember) and with no programs available, it's never going to be a race where its handle is a reflection of anything.

M P

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2024, 04:21:47 PM »
I commented strictly on the handle number you posted for the jug itself. I don't have an opinion for the other 20races. I do have an opinion that it doesn't matter what day of the week or time of day the jug goes to post. If it's a 2nd heat with awds scrambling to load to the race (if they ar lucky to remember) and with no programs available, it's never going to be a race where its handle is a reflection of anything.

So it's a reflection of what then? Crowds are large compared to anything in the States, however they aren't what they used to be. One day a year. If anything it's a local tradition. One of the so called biggest days in harness racing and the general public doesn't know it exists outside the industry and the area. Again, still evading the fact that for harness racing to flourish as it once did, it needs to be known, relevant and generate revenue. Revenue being it's most powerful source of income "not welfare" and that being handle. Like I said on Facebook, the two biggest mass media press releases about harness racing in the last ten years have bee Freehold closing and the federal sting. Not the best marketing plan. Blame your leadership. Or lack thereof.

pocketrocketwinner

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2024, 04:30:18 PM »
So it's a reflection of what then? Crowds are large compared to anything in the States, however they aren't what they used to be. One day a year. If anything it's a local tradition. One of the so called biggest days in harness racing and the general public doesn't know it exists outside the industry and the area. Again, still evading the fact that for harness racing to flourish as it once did, it needs to be known, relevant and generate revenue. Revenue being it's most powerful source of income "not welfare" and that being handle. Like I said on Facebook, the two biggest mass media press releases about harness racing in the last ten years have bee Freehold closing and the federal sting. Not the best marketing plan. Blame your leadership. Or lack thereof.

I am speaking to having the race on a Thursday. I don't believe they would do any better if it was on a Saturday. They get as many people as possible there cause it is a Thursday. reason: Ohio state football plays on Saturdays. Import handle for the race is shitty for the reasons I explained. Would be far worse going up against major thoroughbred Saturday signals. 2 million dollar races at parx. 2 million dollar races in Canada. If it were raced this Saturday instead of yesterday, even less of the general public would know it was happening

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2024, 04:30:38 PM »
Great post

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2024, 04:40:00 PM »
I am speaking to having the race on a Thursday. I don't believe they would do any better if it was on a Saturday. They get as many people as possible there cause it is a Thursday. reason: Ohio state football plays on Saturdays. Import handle for the race is shitty for the reasons I explained. Would be far worse going up against major thoroughbred Saturday signals. 2 million dollar races at parx. 2 million dollar races in Canada. If it were raced this Saturday instead of yesterday, even less of the general public would know it was happening
So move the Jug and the Jugette to another track. Keep all the other races there.

pocketrocketwinner

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2024, 04:47:53 PM »
So move the Jug and the Jugette to another track. Keep all the other races there.

The concept has been to race midweek to make it easier for horsepeople across the country and Canada to congregate with the locals. Shut down the town and schools when nothing else is going on for a special event. On top of that, you could never do it on a Ohio state Saturday. Sunday, you want to butt heads with not 1 but 2 state NFL franchises? Moving it to either of those days is suicide. Might as well fold up. Moving it to Friday would avoid football but inconveniences the out of town horsepeople from getting back for local weekend business. Point being, the day was not haphazardly chosen for illogical reasons.

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2024, 04:49:34 PM »
The concept has been to race midweek to make it easier for horsepeople across the country and Canada to congregate with the locals. Shut down the town and schools when nothing else is going on for a special event. On top of that, you could never do it on a Ohio state Saturday. Sunday, you want to butt heads with not 1 but 2 state NFL franchises? Moving it to either of those days is suicide. Might as well fold up. Moving it to Friday would avoid football but inconveniences the out of town horsepeople from getting back for local weekend business. Point being, the day was not haphazardly chosen for illogical reasons.
Move it like the BC. One year at M1, one year at Hoosier etc.

Bitter Truth

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2024, 04:51:29 PM »
I'm from the area. Been there 'MANY' times. I estimate that 40% comfortably pay no attention
to the races. Just there to drink, party, mingle. Looking at the live feed, it's clear that the crowds
in and around the main grandstand area aren't even close to days gone by. The Jug day broadcast
actually isn't bad, due to the interviews done between races. Helps pass the time plus keeps the regulars
from talking as much. You know Bianconi would rather not be involved. Surprised he hasn't bowed out
already.

Bitter Truth

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2024, 04:55:11 PM »
cmon Mike. You are showing how little you know about the Jug. That track and that day make it
what it was and is. Suggesting moving it elsewhere is asinine. ngc3

JT

• Open / FFA
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2024, 05:11:18 PM »
What a horrible idea

MIKE CAMPBELL

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2024, 05:15:05 PM »
cmon Mike. You are showing how little you know about the Jug. That track and that day make it
what it was and is. Suggesting moving it elsewhere is asinine. ngc3
I didn't say shut it down. Just take away the Jug and Jugette. You will still have 15-20 races per day for the few hundred that actually care about racing. I bet 3/4 of the people there only go to the races once a year. Harness Racing doesn't need them. Make the jug week dry and Monticello will outdraw Delaware and that is a fact.

Brown jug

• Elite
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2024, 08:24:10 PM »
not every sport is going to be followed by the general public
for example i dont follow cricket, no interest, i bet at some point there is a huge cricket match taking place, i dont care, never will, you can play it at 7 pm on a saturday 5 miles from my house and i am not going, however those that love and follow the sport will travel and attend when and where it is played
 some of you guys make it seem like harness racing needs to be on the same level as the nfl before you are satisfied
should it and could it be better , of course and it needs to be but it will take new leadership and time

M P

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2024, 08:42:37 PM »
not every sport is going to be followed by the general public
for example i dont follow cricket, no interest, i bet at some point there is a huge cricket match taking place, i dont care, never will, you can play it at 7 pm on a saturday 5 miles from my house and i am not going, however those that love and follow the sport will travel and attend when and where it is played
 some of you guys make it seem like harness racing needs to be on the same level as the nfl before you are satisfied
should it and could it be better , of course and it needs to be but it will take new leadership and time

For decades after decade harness racing was second to only baseball. More people watch pickleball than harness racing.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • dougie: Old and tired, i still feel bad about Freehold closing.
    September 19, 2024, 12:47:09 PM
  • Papillon: changing diapers together
    September 05, 2024, 03:48:50 PM
  • Minjae: Where are Jen Bongiorno and the white knight?
    September 05, 2024, 12:28:36 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Sure was a gift, Dougie. I was happy to see him race, and win
    August 31, 2024, 04:11:00 PM
  • dougie: 2-1 0n Charlie May was a gift!!!!!
    August 31, 2024, 11:49:19 AM
  • Demples: Binkley
    August 29, 2024, 05:42:52 AM
  • Albatross77: I hope he goes down fucking hard!!
    August 28, 2024, 01:19:35 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: You better pray good boy!
    August 25, 2024, 11:56:30 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal