Author Topic: Drivers  (Read 801 times)

Call Sign Merlin and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Muggsy Mitty

• NW-1
Drivers
« on: Today at 09:23:23 AM »
Any opinions on the up and coming Drivers on the circuit? I feel Brett Beckwith is by far the best young driver out there, 21 years old and should be in the top driving circuit in a couple of years. A very articulate interview when he's asked, humble but confident. What a great Kid!

gh2009

• 4 claimer
Re: Drivers
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:40:22 AM »
Is a racetrack that only runs 2 days a week and less than 100 days a year really a circuit? The top drivers spend more time on the road or in the air because the opportunities are limited at The Meadowlands.

Call Sign Merlin

• NW-1
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:57:56 AM »
Along the same lines it is kind of interesting to me how the major accounts get shuffled.  Who becomes Melander’s #1 with Sears gone and who fills in for Burke with Miller heading back to Ohio.  Yannick seems to also be Nancy’s primary call which may cause Burke to start to look elsewhere.  Does Tetrick fill in that gap?

Zeron is an interesting case here.  He will go over $8-9mm this year with half the drives of most the other top money guys. He is usually the 2-4th selection for most of the top barns and his number one account has not had a good year.  I don’t think he drives aggressive enough for Burke, Nancy, etc but always surprised he doesn’t get more of the top horses considering his success

Lance

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:18:21 AM »
Along the same lines it is kind of interesting to me how the major accounts get shuffled.  Who becomes Melander’s #1 with Sears gone and who fills in for Burke with Miller heading back to Ohio.  Yannick seems to also be Nancy’s primary call which may cause Burke to start to look elsewhere.  Does Tetrick fill in that gap?

Zeron is an interesting case here.  He will go over $8-9mm this year with half the drives of most the other top money guys. He is usually the 2-4th selection for most of the top barns and his number one account has not had a good year.  I don’t think he drives aggressive enough for Burke, Nancy, etc but always surprised he doesn’t get more of the top horses considering his success

I think Zeron will pick up a lot of Miller drives. They seem to have a similar style.

gh2009

• 4 claimer
« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:25:14 AM »
Dexter Dunn has been driving the majority of Melander's better horses, Zeron is driving some of them too. David Miller won't be moving to Ohio to 2026. My guess is Todd McCarthy will pick-up alot of Miller's drives after he leaves.

hoosierboy

• Elite
« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:45:01 AM »
I thought miller was leaving 2025

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
  • Which wolf wins? The one you feed.
« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:46:02 AM »
What is more at play is where a driver is going to hang his shingle. Meadowlands based drivers are going to have opportunities that YR based drivers simply do not have. It's the part of the business that most people don't understand---how drivers manage their business, at least those who actually do. Don't forget, there is also the "constituents" aspect of this. Years and years ago, it was a Canadian thing (drivers and trainers). Montreal/Quebec, and Ontario. Sure, you had Americans as well. But the Canadian influence was very strong. It's how the Meadowlands opened, LOL, Canadians and New Englanders (many were Canadian, like Jim Doherty). Today you have a very strong "Down Under" influence, trainers, and drivers.

That said, I look outside the Meadowlands. I think if Doug McNair ever relocated to the Meadowlands and had some people help him, he could build a very successful business and career. He drives a lot for his dad, and a few key clients up there, so that would make it hard to leave. He'd be giving up a lot. But driving for his dad and those key clients are part of the reason he doesn't look like the stereotypical catch driver. Believe me, he's better, more versatile, more well rounded, and smarter, than he sometimes appears on the track. You rarely see a top WEG driver give it up and relocate to the Meadowlands. Scott was one. It's hard relocating to a track that races 2 or 3 days a week. Regardless, Doug McNair, I like him. I'd like to see him go to the next level.

JT

• Open / FFA
« Reply #7 on: Today at 11:56:46 AM »
Dexter Dunn has been driving the majority of Melander's better horses, Zeron is driving some of them too. David Miller won't be moving to Ohio to 2026. My guess is Todd McCarthy will pick-up alot of Miller's drives after he leaves.
https://harnessracingupdate.com/2024/08/02/a-year-before-moving-back-to-ohio-david-miller-stands-alone-at-the-big-m/

gh2009

• 4 claimer
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:14:40 PM »
Doug McNair is a good driver but not in the same league as the top drivers here. Even with his father's stable I can't see him coming here where he'll struggle to get top drives when Mohawk races year-round 4 or 5 days a week for good money.

JENNY FROM THE BLOCK

• Open / FFA
« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:19:31 PM »
MILLER OR ZERON DONT ABUSE HORSES. THEY UNDERSTAND THE GAME AND DONT JUST BALL BAT TO BALL BAT

Grandstand Handicapper

• Stakes Horse
  • Which wolf wins? The one you feed.
« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:35:23 PM »
I like David a lot. I am happy he's leaving on his terms, his way, when he wants to.

gh2009

• 4 claimer
« Reply #11 on: Today at 12:47:30 PM »
Back in the old days, drivers like Vernon Crank used to beat the crap out of his horses with the whip, but the rules have changed which limit drivers from overusing the whip. In my opinion the whip is overrated, and drivers get as much out of a horse by shaking the reins at it.

Call Sign Merlin

• NW-1
« Reply #12 on: Today at 01:04:15 PM »
MILLER OR ZERON DONT ABUSE HORSES. THEY UNDERSTAND THE GAME AND DONT JUST BALL BAT TO BALL BAT

Agree but that also seems to be why he doesn’t drive a lot for Burke, Takter and others that want them sent each start

Kirbys Ace

• Elite
« Reply #13 on: Today at 01:08:49 PM »
Back in the old days, drivers like Vernon Crank used to beat the crap out of his horses with the whip, but the rules have changed which limit drivers from overusing the whip. In my opinion the whip is overrated, and drivers get as much out of a horse by shaking the reins at it.

All a whip does is confirm a horse is tired!
Back by popular demand!

gh2009

• 4 claimer
« Reply #14 on: Today at 01:23:22 PM »
Scott Zeron doesn't do that well at Yonkers because he's not aggressive like the top drivers. It may work on the bigger tracks but not on a half mile.

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Calhoun: God Bless you, Uncle Jerry. Welcome back.
    Today at 11:34:09 AM
  • Unclejerry: Lets Move To Mohawk for final 3
    September 26, 2024, 09:52:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: R7 Flamboro another Superfecta $66.45
    September 26, 2024, 08:44:18 PM
  • Unclejerry: Uncle Jerry Gives out $115.10 Trifecta at Flamboro
    September 26, 2024, 08:07:12 PM
  • Unclejerry: Does anyone know a website where people talk and share actual bets?
    September 26, 2024, 07:57:21 PM
  • Unclejerry: Uncle Jerry just gave out a $156.20 Super in R1 at Flamboro
    September 26, 2024, 06:47:08 PM
  • London: Another fkn scumbag
    September 25, 2024, 05:31:08 PM
  • Passion: Frederick bourgault
    September 25, 2024, 04:03:04 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal