Author Topic: Why Standardbred times have gotten faster but thoroughbreds have stayed the same  (Read 1487 times)

Any1Left

• Top Claimer
Back then you had to drive and time it well and yes DEX is miles the best today against a group that is poor and today its power racing and then single file and no one could leave a gate like JACKIE MO as he showed in the jug and today the game is dead and the new blood is not impressive but to me it is not even close as todays drivers do not have to make many moves in a race to get in a perfect position to win and yes DEX was impressive with those rail skimming drives at MOHAWK but he did not win with as many no figures as Walter Case did and pay 3-5 and Dex does drive auto win horses and lets take a guy like Shelly Goudreau and was Dex way better than him or could Dex get a horse out with two yards to go like Ron Waples and get them to move like machines,,,,,,,,, Jimmy moriil was not a top 10 driver and today he would be or sure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

bond

• Elite
Sorry bond I agree with almost everything you said except the GOAT John Campbell. Saying he is no Dexter Dunn is a huge stretch. Listen Dexter is the best driver in the world right now and it's not close.. but saying John couldn't adapt to today's horses and drivers is foolish. They both actually drive in a very similar manner.. a thinking man's driver, not run and gun every race. Maybe in 10 years I would agree about Dexter being the best ever.. but he has a ways to go for that title.
tmbz1 I watched John Campbell since I was a little kid-drive. At the Meadowlands-he was the best. He lost my admiration when he came out and told a group of newbee harness drivers--that if he was driving a horse over 10/1-he would not be interested in driving it. He basically said he wouldnt try. I agree with what you said about Campbell being a thinking mans driver--but to be the best ever you have to do it on all size tracks and everywhere. When Campbell went to Freehold,Yonkers-he was good but not the greatest-eg walter case Jr was far better-because he could get a horse out of the gate far better than Campbell and his record proves that. Also when Campbell went to Australia and drove there-he was laughed out for his driving-had no clue. No Judge of pace and was outdriven in virtually every race he drove in. HOWEVER-the Meadowlands was his happy hunting ground-and he was the best ever-thats where he achieved legendary status.
Dexter is on his way there at the Big M---down under Dex was and still is-the greatest driver they have ever seen-he can do it all.He also won the World driving Championship-against the worlds best-something Campbell didnt do.
Dex is now winning here at the same rate as Campbell-if he continues at this rate-he will be the GOAT when he hangs it up.
JMO 

JT

• Open / FFA
tmbz1 I watched John Campbell since I was a little kid-drive. At the Meadowlands-he was the best. He lost my admiration when he came out and told a group of newbee harness drivers--that if he was driving a horse over 10/1-he would not be interested in driving it. He basically said he wouldnt try. I agree with what you said about Campbell being a thinking mans driver--but to be the best ever you have to do it on all size tracks and everywhere. When Campbell went to Freehold,Yonkers-he was good but not the greatest-eg walter case Jr was far better-because he could get a horse out of the gate far better than Campbell and his record proves that. Also when Campbell went to Australia and drove there-he was laughed out for his driving-had no clue. No Judge of pace and was outdriven in virtually every race he drove in. HOWEVER-the Meadowlands was his happy hunting ground-and he was the best ever-thats where he achieved legendary status.
Dexter is on his way there at the Big M---down under Dex was and still is-the greatest driver they have ever seen-he can do it all.He also won the World driving Championship-against the worlds best-something Campbell didnt do.
Dex is now winning here at the same rate as Campbell-if he continues at this rate-he will be the GOAT when he hangs it up.
JMO
tmbz1 I agree that if DD continues like he is he will be the GOAT no question. I watched John since I was a little kid as well. I remember whenever his first drive of the week in Delaware was to always hammer him at the windows and he almost always came through. He I believe is still 2nd on the all time win list there behind only David Miller and that is only driving there 2 of the 5 days each year. Yeah it's a shame about Walter .. so much talent untapped

Any1Left

• Top Claimer
I usually do not respond to people that do not gamble and i am sure poster BOND does not gamble by his posts and i have no problem with that but i rarely agree with his posts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I may be wrong about him not being a gambler but i do believe i am correct,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I find it hard to read posts on this game from people who do not gamble and yes we own some horses but i am a gambler first,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,His posts on drivers to me are so far off as todays drivers are so much worse than the CASE AND CAMPBELL era and yes i find CAMPBELL NOT VERY INTERESTING TO LISTEN TO i STILL FIND HIM TO BE GREAT,,,,,,,,,,,,,I am a believer that athletes are far better today but not in harness racing,,,,,,,,,,,

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • Unclejerry: Thank You Calhoun, Trying to post winners
    September 29, 2024, 12:41:02 PM
  • Calhoun: God Bless you, Uncle Jerry. Welcome back.
    September 27, 2024, 11:34:09 AM
  • Unclejerry: Lets Move To Mohawk for final 3
    September 26, 2024, 09:52:40 PM
  • Unclejerry: R7 Flamboro another Superfecta $66.45
    September 26, 2024, 08:44:18 PM
  • Unclejerry: Uncle Jerry Gives out $115.10 Trifecta at Flamboro
    September 26, 2024, 08:07:12 PM
  • Unclejerry: Does anyone know a website where people talk and share actual bets?
    September 26, 2024, 07:57:21 PM
  • Unclejerry: Uncle Jerry just gave out a $156.20 Super in R1 at Flamboro
    September 26, 2024, 06:47:08 PM
  • London: Another fkn scumbag
    September 25, 2024, 05:31:08 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal