Author Topic: Cumberland (KY) condition sheet.  (Read 7595 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

The Exporter

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 5812
Re: Cumberland (KY) condition sheet.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2023, 02:18:36 PM »
Blue Grass Downs in Paducah. Went there once. Win handles were typically $10.00 . Yes I mean Ten Dollars.

Paducah downtown was a nice, interesting, place. I guess the merchants make their money from the river cruise ship stops.
The place was once owned by Merv Griffin Enterprises. It was in the mid 1990's as the infancy of riverboat gaming was happening. They kept it racing while maneuvering to get a casino license. Of course that never happened. My partner was in the original group that built Blue Downs. They held Thoroughbreds and Quarter Horse meets there at that time. After sitting for some time, Merv's group opened it with a simulcast and harness license, while working on a casino license.
 Now, the city took ownership and has made it a multi use public park.
 

dinkadoo

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 5640
Re: Cumberland (KY) condition sheet.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2023, 02:50:04 PM »
You didn't know about the Thunder Ridge Mafia led by Jed Clampett?
when I heard we needed approval to ship down from Ohio, figured we had two choices..
- no chance
- or buy the boys a dozen doughnuts and hope

Decided it wasn't that important to race there.

bello

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 5061
Re: Cumberland (KY) condition sheet.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2023, 02:53:10 PM »
when I heard we needed approval to ship down from Ohio, figured we had two choices..
- no chance
- or buy the boys a dozen doughnuts and hope

Decided it wasn't that important to race there.

Chitterlings or Gizzards would have surely done the trick.

JL52

  • Open / FFA
  • ****
  • Posts: 444
Re: Cumberland (KY) condition sheet.
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2023, 04:25:12 PM »
Chitterlings or Gizzards would have surely done the trick.
Google an article Bill Finley wrote some years back on Thunder Ridge. Complete with photos, it was hilarious.

theokodjak26

  • Stakes Horse
  • *****
  • Posts: 1162
Re: Cumberland (KY) condition sheet.
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2023, 05:37:34 PM »
I bet if you list the series Ozark character Ruth as the trainer your horses would get in.

rainman2

  • Living Legend
  • *******
  • Posts: 27244
Re: Cumberland (KY) condition sheet.
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2023, 01:46:01 AM »
Have to be a Hatfield or McCoy descendant to be eligible!

I believe Bud Hatfield is still in the sport today. I believe he is a 5th or 6th generation descendant  of that famous family. 
Horseplop isn’t a popularity contest!!

rainman2

  • Living Legend
  • *******
  • Posts: 27244
Re: Cumberland (KY) condition sheet.
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2023, 01:48:15 AM »
Nice to see. How do establish yourself as a KY. trainer?

You just show up and say you are a KY trainer!
Horseplop isn’t a popularity contest!!

The Exporter

  • Elite
  • ******
  • Posts: 5812
Re: Cumberland (KY) condition sheet.
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2023, 05:50:44 AM »
And just smile?

 

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • JT: No kidding.. right Dougie
    Today at 11:53:19 AM
  • dougie: JT.....Get us a "hot"horse. LOL!
    Today at 11:50:33 AM
  • JT: I might have to take him up on that..roughly 3 to 4 hour drive for me ;D
    Today at 11:28:30 AM
  • JT: He said if I ever wanted to go to come knocking on his door and he would hook me up tmbz1..he said you gotta wear a shirt and tie. I said we'll I wouldn't go in these clothes..my clothes are covered in paint ngc3
    Today at 11:26:47 AM
  • JT: Funny story..the house I am working on now, the next door neighbor came out and was rocking a Keeneland t-shirt. We chatted for a bit. He has friends that own some and they have a permanent spot in the clubhouse
    Today at 11:24:54 AM
  • Trigger: "we were training here."  End of discussion G, why you're an irrelovant, an anonymous coward, a liar extroidnaire...no one here of any consequence believes you or ever will.  But you keep seeking to convince our lying eyes  ngc3
    Today at 11:18:41 AM
  • wiggles44: Calm down Mike
    Today at 11:15:26 AM
  • G: They told me last winter was fabulous while all the tracks and farms were shut down they were training
    Today at 11:15:12 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal