Author Topic: RIP Freehold raceway  (Read 990 times)

Mr.Turnpike

• Stakes Horse
RIP Freehold raceway
« on: Today at 06:42:44 AM »
  Through out the years almost everyone has a story involving freehold raceway  lets hear them

gh2009

• NW-1
Re: RIP Freehold raceway
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:25:48 AM »
I remember driving there with my brother from Delaware. We'd park in the lot across the street and would sneak into the track through an opening in the fence. We used to make doubleheaders, Freehold during the day and Pocono at night.

Mohawk mac

• Top Claimer
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:07:26 AM »
Never been to Freehold but I owned part of a mare that raced there and provided some interesting memories.

Her first start outside Chicago was there.  John Campbell drove her from an outside post.  J C was asked to leave with her but since she showed no gate speed in her Illinois races, he decided to duck.  She raced great with no cover but finished 3rd.  After the race Campbell said, "If I knew she was that fast I would have left with her."  angbk

She won a few mare opens there and in one she was handicapped with the outside post.  Left hard, got the lead.  Won wire to wire.  Driver objection.  Inquiry.  Judges decided no foul.  Race official.  Next day we learned the purse was being held up because Ray Baynes filed suit alleging interference by our horse against his.  Many months later we won in court and finally got paid.   ;D

RIP, Freehold.   >:(

Papillon

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:03:06 PM »
i was there just after the fire when the grandstand was a line of huge yellow bubble tents 84/85

saw Genghis Khan go for the record--broke approaching the 3/4 pole under heavy urging--non betting race

Mr.Turnpike

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #4 on: Today at 06:16:24 PM »
  I used to watch Richie wojo joey 10 speed and Billy b fix races
      Good times

makingit

• Open / FFA
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:11:50 PM »
Remember good times watching Austin Thomas, Claude Paradis, the Dancers, Fillion, the Abatellos, Moyseyev, and many many more old timers. Remember a horse called Josedale On Top come from 8th to win and pasi a good price! Would buy those selection papers from the guys at the gate. Now I wonder if they were so good at it, why they weren't inside at the windows playing their selections ? Overall good times. Then remember heading to Liberty Nell to put money on Pink Velvet when he was racing.

old guy

• Stakes Horse
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:17:03 PM »
Remember good times watching Austin Thomas, Claude Paradis, the Dancers, Fillion, the Abatellos, Moyseyev, and many many more old timers. Remember a horse called Josedale On Top come from 8th to win and pasi a good price! Would buy those selection papers from the guys at the gate. Now I wonder if they were so good at it, why they weren't inside at the windows playing their selections ? Overall good times. Then remember heading to Liberty Nell to put money on Pink Velvet when he was racing.
Bart Wagner

Lotsofpace

• 4 claimer
« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:45:29 PM »
Where is Joe Martin??

shout out

Refresh History
  • Sound off !
  • dougie: Old and tired, i still feel bad about Freehold closing.
    September 19, 2024, 12:47:09 PM
  • Papillon: changing diapers together
    September 05, 2024, 03:48:50 PM
  • Minjae: Where are Jen Bongiorno and the white knight?
    September 05, 2024, 12:28:36 PM
  • SwankToliverA: Sure was a gift, Dougie. I was happy to see him race, and win
    August 31, 2024, 04:11:00 PM
  • dougie: 2-1 0n Charlie May was a gift!!!!!
    August 31, 2024, 11:49:19 AM
  • Demples: Binkley
    August 29, 2024, 05:42:52 AM
  • Albatross77: I hope he goes down fucking hard!!
    August 28, 2024, 01:19:35 PM
  • Frank the Zipper: You better pray good boy!
    August 25, 2024, 11:56:30 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal